Getting upright

Ajoten

Old School Hero
After battling with neck pain for a while, have had both an osteo and physio recommend sacking drop bars in favour of a cruiser.

I don't really want a single speed bike with roller brakes on our hills! But I wanted to ask the combined wisdom of forum what they thought was the best way of getting a straighter neck.

Thoughts I've had...

- recumbent
- Pashley style
- beach cruiser correctly appointed
- MTB with really high riser BMX bars
- path racer style you see from 1920s wtvr

I fear looking an idiot on many of these options will make me avoid riding them. I'm also trying to work out what aspects make some of these work better... Top tube length, seat tube angle, mere height of bars etc etc

All thoughts welcome.

Yup, I'd look at a older tourer and convert to flat bars.

Something like this that I recently picked up myself - it's really nice to ride and could quite easily go higher on the front

I was finding conventional bikes increasingly uncomfortable on long rides, even with an upright position and flat handlebars. Now using a recumbent and I don't experience any of the aches and pains that used to develop.

Ideally you'd probably want to try one out before buying, however there are only a couple of dealers that I'm aware of for recumbent bikes - DTek in Norfolk, and Laidback bikes in Edinburgh. Also Kinetics in Glasgow might have some in stock. (They all have Web sites).

The other option is to go for a second hand one through fleabay; or if you live in the North East of England you could try one of mine.

They take a while to get used to, different riding technique and uses the leg muscles differently. But no strain on upper body or neck because of the relaxed seated position.

I was finding conventional bikes increasingly uncomfortable on long rides, even with an upright position and flat handlebars. Now using a recumbent and I don't experience any of the aches and pains that used to develop.

Ideally you'd probably want to try one out before buying, however there are only a couple of dealers that I'm aware of for recumbent bikes - DTek in Norfolk, and Laidback bikes in Edinburgh. Also Kinetics in Glasgow might have some in stock. (They all have Web sites).

The other option is to go for a second hand one through fleabay; or if you live in the North East of England you could try one of mine.

They take a while to get used to, different riding technique and uses the leg muscles differently. But no strain on upper body or neck because of the relaxed seated position.
and contury to what people think, you are exceptionally visible to everybody, who are normally pointing at you and mouthing "what's that?"

If I have the space to put it I'd have my recumbent back on the road tomorrow, awesome fun and once you are used to it, you can fly along.

Recumbents are quite a radical change. If you have unrelenting back problems, it could be the way to go, but they take getting used to. Then again, a velomobile means you have fairing and are protected from the rain. They can be quite fast too.

I am just in middle of build from old Dawes galaxy tourer. Straight bar, slightly chunkier tyres (again for comfort).

I’d do similar imho. Means I also get a steel frame as tbh modern alu ones shake the bones outa you.

Even though you want more upright i reckon steel and slightly wider tyres to reduce vibration would also help

What do you have at the moment? Before committing to a whole new bike, can you modify your existing bike (eg taller/longer/shorter stem, flat bars, riser bars) so you can get a feel for what you want and need?

Recumbents are quite a radical change. If you have unrelenting back problems, it could be the way to go, but they take getting used to. Then again, a velomobile means you have fairing and are protected from the rain. They can be quite fast too.

and bear in mind that as the bars come up and towards you, your neck gets less bent, but your lower spine tends to take the strain. not a problem for some.

Tadpole recumbent... I've had a windcheetah and a trice, but you have to be prepared to be laughed at by kids and provide your own motivation on steep hills.

2 wheel recumbent requires good commitmentif you've got decent hills.

And where a 2 wheel rider has to keep working or they'll fall off up hill, the tricycle rider can come to a complete standstill🤣

You could probably find a local recumbent group online and see if they can help you to try some stuff out.

Dtek are in Cambridgeshire - in Little Thetford btw

Latest posts

Back