Geoff Apps RIP

On hearing of Geoff's passing, some of his friends have found it theraputic to write down their thoughts.

This is from Moira Hay, the partner of another pioneer of British mountain bikes, the late David Wrath-Sharman, founder of Highpath Engineering who began making Geoff Apps influenced mountain bikes after Cleland Cycles ceased production in mid 1984.

'How do you write a Life in a handful of sentences? And how is it even possible when that life encompassed such variety? I can only illustrate a tiny bit. . .'

'I met Geoff through my late partner, David Wrath-Sharman, also a bicycle designer and builder, in I think, the late 1970s'.

(This was most likely to be after 1982, the year when Geoff started to promote his bicycles and publicise his off-road rides. Though it is possible that they made contact earlier through articles about Geoff's prototypes that first appeared in cycling magaziness in early 1981).

'With much in common, and the shared focus of producing a capable all-round, eco-friendly method of personal transport – a new all-terrain design to suit anything the British countryside could throw at it – Geoff’s Cleland was honed and developed and David’s Highpath was born. I also discovered points of contact through illustration and graphic design; we were fellow conspirators in the production of the much-loved and missed ‘Making Tracks’ magazine, producing a regular not-for-profit, subscription only fanzine for the off-road cyclist.'

And when you work together on something you love, and want to share with others, you make a friend, an engaging companion, an intelligent sounding-board and you enjoy new, and fun experiences together.

Enquiring, curious and multi-talented’. ‘ bought one of the first batch of Cleland Aventuras – a giraffe of a machine with more gears than I’d ever encountered, and thus my ‘tall cycling’ began. On a trial-run I joined one of Geoff’s early group rides, which took us down a tiny green lane behind some back gardens, where I failed to negotiate with the gears on a 90-degree bend between fences and headed face-down into a compost heap. Geoff was the only person who didn’t laugh at me. Just picked me up, brushed me off and made sure I was OK-to-go.

Kind, considerate, practical’. ‘And then there were the weasels. We happened upon them in a wooded clearing where logging had occurred. Geoff quickly quieted the group, signalled for us to stop, lay down our bikes and hunker down, to an impromptu ringside seat, entranced for many minutes by a family group sinuously weaving in and around each other on the woodpile. A treat.

A true Countryman at heart, mindful, respectful and engaged in the moment. Clever people have every reason to be opinionated or superior – and my partner and Geoff had their moments – and in the circumstances, I had to make compromises for the sake of my own relationship. But Geoff showed that when knowledge is shared, ego takes a back seat, and what’s good for one becomes good for all. He took what he did seriously, but was all too happy to play the fool and have fun! I am privileged to have known Geoff – I wish I could have continued that friendship into his later years, and during the transition in more recent times. But I have lovely, lasting memories of those earlier years – and I still have my Highpath which has seen me through many an enjoyable, mindful country ride and ‘pootle’ – a Geoff description I relish for a gentle yet purposeful way of covering ground, at one with your surroundings. May Gem continue to shine in pootling heaven – x

Last edited:
Back