Gary Fisher Mt Tam middle 90's suggestions

dencal

Dirt Disciple
Hi ,
I've a Gary Fisher Mt Tam middle 90's , with broken fork Rockshox MAG 10 , Shimano XT parts ,and i'm searching for some suggestion about what i've to do with.

Leave it with original parts,repair the fork and so on,or reinvented it?
I don't know the value of this bike, also the quality of the frame,so that's why,as you're more expert than me, i'm waiting for your suggestions/point of views .

Any of that will be much appreciated.

Tnks.

Attachments

• 421222939_137435.jpg
    421222939_137435.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 935
Re:

Get the fork repaired, there's people here who could strip and rebuild it. Replace the saddle, service and ride it! Thats what its for :cool:

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike,

the fact is that, repairing the fork will cost a lot here (i'm in Italy), i will say, around 130 Eur ,and i'm not able to do this because haven't right tools.
And when i will decide to sell it, maybe i'll get only 150Eur for it (maybe,because i don't know the market value).

I'm right? :)

Re:

Ah, I didn't realise where you were!

Cheaper to get another pair of forks probably then.

Do you want to keep it, or are you looking to repair and sell?

To be honest, for what it's worth, I'd keep and ride it if you like it.

First of all,i want to repair it, ride and ,maybe sell after...but i don't want spend 300Eur for repairing it and realize 150 as selling price.

In few words, i don't know if is better to refurnish it with original parts (the market is looking for a retrobike like this?) or reinvented it with carbon parts and brand new fork .

Confused :)

Re:

Repair and ride it. See.how you feel about it afterwards.

There's plenty of advice available on here if you need help. And cheap parts in the sales section as you need them.

Welcome to the forum from another Fisher fan ;)

Mike

Buon giorno.

Taking into account € to £ fluctuations, its worth maybe €210 fully working.

If fork cannot be repaired the it shoukd be possible find a fork for €80 or so, then ride it or sell it.

If you decide to keep it, spend a bit more on fork and parts.

Re:

That's a 1994 bike - nice ride! http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/4 ... fisher.pdf

It's definitely worth leaving it as it is and cleaning up (or restoring). I have a one of those Bontrager saddles if you need one.

These bikes use a 1 1/4 inch headset, but it looks like your fork crown is replaceable - so the good news is you can buy a used fork with any length and diameter steerer tube and just use the lower stanchions with your existing fork crown.

And you could always ride the fork rigid until another one comes along.

Back