For Sale FS: 57cm Rotrax Vel D'Hiv Path Racer / Track Frameset: 1950's - Ornate Lugs - British Top Level (Exquisitely Restored)

Bike_Recyclery

Dirt Disciple
***CLICK HERE For More Pics & To Purchase***

This is one of the most opulent frames I've had in my shop these last 15 years! The Vel D'Hiv model was intended as a dual purpose path racing and track use, and some of them came drilled for brakes for road/path use like this one. It was one of their three high end models alongside the road specific Super Course and later the Concours which came in both road and track format. The deep black finish with extremely well done lug lining screams class, and the world champion stripe decals + winged logo on the seat tube give it some levity. Then there's those LUGS! They're reminiscent of Hetchins Vade Mechum lugs, but with more symmetrical swirls and an even fancier window cutout head lugs. The fork crown is a flat bi-plane design. The brake bridge is a pretty arch, with unique reinforcement "claws" that wrap half way around the seatstays as if it were a beast. High end Rotrax frames are VERY rare, especially in the US.
(Via Classic Lightweights) "Rotrax Cycles was founded in 1945 at 132 Shirley Road, Southampton. There had long been a cycle shop which specialized in lightweight bikes on the premises which in the 1930s had been run by Bill Harvell. He sold the business to Freddy Prince who was a local businessman and cyclist. He was newly demobbed from the RAF and coined the new name Rotrax from the common name road/track used for bikes ridden on both the road and track with a fixed wheel."
This frame has been given a gorgeous restoration complete with water transfer decals. The black paint is GLOSSY, reflective, and well-applied. The gold lug lining is among the neatest I've seen on a restoration. I don't know who painted it, but they did a damn fine job. It has drillings for a head badge, which is not present.
The first two digits of the frame number indicate the year. The frame number on the BB is quite hard to read. The last 4 numbers I THINK I have right, but the first two are only an educated guess. The best I can read is either 52767 or 57767, making this either a 1952 or 1957 build date.
Condition
Exquisitely restored and repainted condition. At first look it appears freshly painted. It's been built since the restoration but based on the condition it's seen practically zero miles. There's barely any wear past light axle marks on dropouts and wear on the bottom of the bb shell from resting on the ground. There's a touch of wear just north of the driveside fork end, and the Rotrax decal on the seat tube has 3 little pieces missing. There's also faint paint wear on the seatstay cap's sharp edges. Aside from these mentioned there's a few marks but they are very inconsequential. It doesn't appear a front lamp or either brakes were installed post-restoration.
Details
  • Frame number: 52767? 57767? (Very difficult to read, this is my best guess)
  • Tubing: Reynolds 531
  • Top tube: 57cm
  • Seat tube: 56cm c-c, 58cm c-t
  • Head tube: 157mm
  • Rear spacing: 110mm
  • Front spacing: 96mm
$900
IMG_1871.jpg IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1873.jpg IMG_1872.jpg IMG_1888.jpg IMG_1906.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5