front mech diameter??

freeride-mike

Dirt Disciple
my frame is 30mm but the all the mechs i can find are 28.4mm and 31.8mm :? which size do i need to buy??

thanks mike

have you been measuring it at the top of the seat tube as sometimes they flare out a bit up there - try where mech fits and apols if you already have :?

my tube is 34.9 at the top but where the mech fits its taperd to approx 30mm, im gonna get a 31.4 and shim it if i have too what do u think??

freeride-mike":1lusaihp said:
my tube is 34.9 at the top but where the mech fits its taperd to approx 30mm, im gonna get a 31.4 and shim it if i have too what do u think??

shims work fine, what does it say inside the clamp on your current mech (if you have one)?

I had a 34.9 XT mech from my previous build but didnt realise till the other day mech's could be shimmed and so i sold it a few weeks back :?
ive ordered a 31.8 from crc, as im only taking up 1.8mm slack what do u suggest to use as a shim (plastic,rubber,tape) ???

cheers mike :D

freeride-mike":3qs0nb1e said:
I had a 34.9 XT mech from my previous build but didnt realise till the other day mech's could be shimmed and so i sold it a few weeks back :?
ive ordered a 31.8 from crc, as im only taking up 1.8mm slack what do u suggest to use as a shim (plastic,rubber,tape) ???

cheers mike :D

never come across this before myself but maybe use same materials as Shimano do for their shims ie an alloy band wrapped in plastic coating, suppose rubber would be ok too. for the plastic maybe some Crud Catcher shim or similar cut to size with a craft knife? Or the old beer can, possibly wrapped in a bit of old inner tube? here's a bodge I found:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Front-D ... minum-Can/

I been told my frame was designed to use an E-type mech which is bb mounted but as ive just had a new un52 fitted i didnt want to buy another bb plus the horrible chunky metal mounting bracket looks cack ;)

ive got some water hose clamps which are roughly the width of the clamp so mite give them a try :) cant beat a good bodge!!!

freeride-mike":10tgrpo2 said:
I been told my frame was designed to use an E-type mech which is bb mounted but as ive just had a new un52 fitted i didnt want to buy another bb plus the horrible chunky metal mounting bracket looks cack ;)

ive got some water hose clamps which are roughly the width of the clamp so mite give them a try :) cant beat a good bodge!!!

mystery solved, good luck with the bodging ;)

Back