French thread pedal adaptor?

It's got Sugino Mighty's on it, with fabulous drillium rings, which was a big part of what turned me on to the bike in the first place. (but yes I could swap just the cranks I guess - thanks for the prod in to the lateral thinking domain!)

And yes, I entirely see the point about not molesting nice vintage parts (that's essentially what's holding me back for the moment - although it's also true that if I get the retap right I could still put period pedals on it (albeit with 9/16) and it would look right).

Last edited:
I have a fully French bike, all French components....and a re-tapped 9/16 Rosebif pedal thread. They have no clue, them Frenchies. I ride past a cafe with the legend 'croissants' etched into la fenetre and they sit there in their stripey breton tops reading Germinal, clueless. I'm getting away with it every day. You can too. 10 minutes with a tap, handle and cutting oil. Piece de la piss.

And then you are vraiment at liberte, freed from the ever decreasing pool of clapped out, overpriced, brexit tax on top 14mm pedals.

Very hard to cock it up in practice. As long as you do half a turn, back out a quarter turn half turn again - and keep the cutting oil in there - jobs a good un. You can go in from the inside if you're worried about scarring the edges of the hole.

It's got Sugino Mighty's on it, with fabulous drillium rings, which was a big part of what turned me on to the bike in the first place. (but yes I could swap just the cranks I guess - thanks for the prod in to the lateral thinking domain!)

And yes, I entirely see the point about not molesting nice vintage parts (that's essentially what's holding me back for the moment - although it's also true that if I get the retap right I could still put period pedals on it (albeit with 9/16) and it would look right).

Keep the French threaded ones, and get some additional 9/16 perhaps?

Oh the joy. Wilfully swap cranks between Pernod and G&T at a moments notice depending on mood, season, appetite, news of the day, Kippers or porridge or croissants in the morning. 🥐

Back