Freddie Grubb project - vintage wheelset question

randomdan

Retro Guru
A little project I've got going on at the moment, basically this is a plain guage 531 framed "Holdsworth" built F.H.Grubb, judging from the decals and frame features and after a quite a bit of research on this site I'm thinking it's late to mid 1950s (Serial C121324 onthe fork)

20160702_130156_zpssxbroaud.jpg

20160702_130201_zpsnuhlsh1m.jpg

20160702_130251_zpskmwt8pgt.jpg

20160702_130306_zps7hdzsetl.jpg

20160702_130344_zpsf3pdsjt5.jpg

As the frame's cosmetically sad, I'm throwing quite a bit of cash at a professional frame strip, prep, and re-enamel (with a more tasteful green/white colour scheme) as well as a getting a couple of minor damage points to the frame repaired by a local frame builder.

I've got lots of questions. I know very little about road bikes, let alone old ones. I think the GB courier/superhood brakes, the bar and GB spearpoint stem are probably original, as possibly are the williams cranks. The gears have been lost at some point.

My biggest headache is what I should build up wheel-wise. The frame is (I think) probably 115mm spaced for a 4-speed, but the shop where it is being worked say they can respace the back stay to 120 or even 126 O.L.D.

It came with a savable 36H Rigida Superchromix on a maillard hub up front (which kind of looks OK but might not be 100% concorse, I think the wheel may well be 1980s not '50s) and a 36H Alloy Rigida on a Viscount 5-sp at the back (which is neither original or appropriate, and I'd rather just bin)

Any advice from the retro road experts on hub choices?

Re:

I have built up several sets of wheels for use on frames of this sort of date using Campag Nuovo Tipo hubs (probably a little late but look good and freely available) Airlite (both low and high flange, starting to become expensive) and Maillard/Normandy high flange with round holes (the slotted flange type look too modern to my eye). I suggest that you take a look through the relevant section on velobase.com and see what takes your fancy then see if you can find ones that suit you budget; the research is all part of the fun. It would be good if you could run a blog of the build on Readers' Bikes, I am sure we would be interested to see it.

you might find this useful
Wheels for 1945-60s classic lightweights

a Freddie Grubb on Classic Lightweights is documented by its original owner as having Weinmann rims

some of the rims available in 1955 are listed in the 1955 Holdsworth Aids available at the V-CC Library

any engravings on the crank arm or the chainring?

The GB Coureur Plus brakes are reported to have been released in 1957, see the Classic Lightweights page on GB brakes but were advertised in the Holdsworth Aids in 1956 as a 'new model'

have you seen these on the V-CC Library?
Freddie Grubb catalogue 1954 and
F. H. Grubb 1950s advertisements and brochures

you can have a search at the other documents on those sites, always plenty to keep me interested.

GB Coureur Plus came out in 1957 and the head badge was used 1956 to 1963. You should find a date code on the crank too.

Re:

Thanks all for some great advice and help. Still not fixed on the wheel build but it's giving me fresh lines of enquiry now. Shall keep my eye open for the Nuovo Tipo and Bayliss Whiley suggestions.

Big Block":17krscrd said:
any engravings on the crank arm or the chainring?

Nailed it - Thanks a load for this and all the other interesting references - some I've already seen but others are new to me. The cranks are corroded badly with the chrome lifting off and the stamp is really light, but I can just about make it out on one crank. ZA - that makes it 1960

I knew had to be post 1956 (head badge) and pre 1961 (pump bosses moved from the downtube to toptube between 59 and 61) I've not seen a 1960 catalogue yet, but Nice to get it down to a particular year so thanks.

20160702_130302_zpstdcacrd9.jpg

This is no job for the feint hearted :)

randomdan":1alfrmr2 said:
As the frame's cosmetically sad, I'm throwing quite a bit of cash at a professional frame strip, prep, and re-enamel (with a more tasteful green/white colour scheme) as well as a getting a couple of minor damage points to the frame repaired by a local frame builder.?
what sort of price are you expecting to pay for this? I'm thinking of getting it done on a frame also

tehtehteh":1qevh81u said:
what sort of price are you expecting to pay for this? I'm thinking of getting it done on a frame also

I've taken the frame to Vernon Barker, which is very nearby to me and very well respected frame builder local to me. I've had a couple of MTB frames done by them and the work's always outsanding BUT... By the time the dropouts are straightened, the damage on the crown built up and filed down, then stove enameled with contrasting band, decals fitted by them and clearcoated, there won't be much change from 200 quid... A single colour paint with them is £95.

They have a list of paint prices up on their site.
http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/pri ... aying.html

Yup it's spendy - and powder coating is much cheaper at usualy around 50-60quid. The issue that a powder coater can't fill and flat where the frame has severe pitting, most powder coaters can't do a contrasting colour, or fit decals, repair, apply clear coat etc etc. Sometimes it's appropriate, sometimes not.

Re:

I really do like the look of those airlites with the flamme rims. Shame that I really want a geared machine not fixed, I'm guessing there is no scope to put a 5 speed freewheel on that.

also found these, but looks like they need a heluva clean, and probably a recrhrome on the rim..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131870094533? ... EBIDX%3AIT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back