Freddie Grubb Galibier Restoration

alipearce

Retro Newbie
Hiya, first post for me.

Currently restoring a Freddie Grubb Galibier, Arizona Gold with Purple bands.

Not a full eroica job, just tarting up as a nostalgia thing as I had a similar bike when I was a student.

The top tube, seat stays and chain stays have some paint damage I'd like to repair, but never done this before. Nearest RAL colouts I can find are RAL 1037 Sun Yellow for the 'Arizona Gold' and RAL 4007 Purple Violet for the purple, though neither are a 100% perfect match to be honest. Couple of pics of the affected areas attached.

A few questions if anyone can help:
- Does anyone know of a a better paint match than the RAL colours listed above?
- Whats the best method of repair? Brush apply, then sand and wax? Or another way?
- does anyone have a template for the Galibier decals on the top tube? The main Freddie GRUBB decals are in great nick, but the Galibier decals on the top tube have almost completely gone.

Thanks in advance for ypur responses.

Attachments

• 20181122_150954_resized_1.jpg
    20181122_150954_resized_1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 975
  • 20181122_150954_resized_1.jpg
    20181122_150954_resized_1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 975
  • 20181122_151002_resized_1.jpg
    20181122_151002_resized_1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 975
The Guys at Argos would take good care of this if you’re willing to spend.....

Re:

Argos Cycles looks like a great place, unfortunately I don't have a whole heap of cash to spend on this was hoping to do a DIY job to honest.

alipearce":1druveyn said:
Hiya, first post for me.

Currently restoring a Freddie Grubb Galibier, Arizona Gold with Purple bands.

Not a full eroica job, just tarting up as a nostalgia thing as I had a similar bike when I was a student.

The top tube, seat stays and chain stays have some paint damage I'd like to repair, but never done this before. Nearest RAL colouts I can find are RAL 1037 Sun Yellow for the 'Arizona Gold' and RAL 4007 Purple Violet for the purple, though neither are a 100% perfect match to be honest. Couple of pics of the affected areas attached.

A few questions if anyone can help:
- Does anyone know of a a better paint match than the RAL colours listed above?
- Whats the best method of repair? Brush apply, then sand and wax? Or another way?
- does anyone have a template for the Galibier decals on the top tube? The main Freddie GRUBB decals are in great nick, but the Galibier decals on the top tube have almost completely gone.

Thanks in advance for ypur responses.

Try Lloyds at https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com They have some Freddie Grubb Decals.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Lovely paint scheme. If you don't want to spring for a full respray (and I wouldn't - it still looks great), I'd take the frame to a car paint suppliers and get them to colour match some paint. I've used these guys before (sorry if you're not in the north!) http://www.rotherhamrefinishing.co.uk/sheffield.htm and the paint they mixed up for me was perfect.

I guess the frame is probably the same as my CB Electron?

45587768381_be66455645_z.jpg

I love these things. Great to ride, and really nicely detailed.

Back