Frame suggestions for shop bike

baileyswalk

Dirt Disciple
Been tempted for some time to do a retro build but always found other projects. One thing I don't have in the stable is a shop/pub/cafe bike that's also capable/fun on gravel roads and the odd bit of easy singletrack (for when I spot something and can't resist). Ideally I'd like something aesthetically pleasing, a nice steel frame and curved forks just about covers that for me. I'd also like to get something that I can fit full length mudguards to (it rains a lot here) and a front pizza rack/wald basket (shop trips will be the main day to day duty) without too much faf. I've built many bikes but not anything with a 1" steerer or 130mm rear dropout. Have some parts but probably not many, so better getting a full bike and fettling over time, I'm not in any real rush but will inevitably get caught up in the build once I begin. Been looking at the early specialized's but I'm not sure if they will take rack & guards easily or if I'll get into a world of coldest pain etc. etc. any advice welcome.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
(just) Pre-suspension quality steel mtbs from around 1993-4 are probably the peak of cheap go-anywhere bikes.
Marin palisades, kona cindy or lava, spesh rocky, trek 930
Screenshot_20240714-141206_Firefox.jpg
Most had rack/ guard eyes, and room for 2.2 tyres and guards.
Touring geometry, quality tubing, all components still available, compatible with most modern stuff.

You can then fit your choice of tyre, saddle, bar and stem, Guards and front rack, make it how you like.

The older steel Marins make great daily bikes, and pop up very regularly for reasonable money.

For some reason, the Marin's don't do it for me. Think it's just the neon. I remember a kid at school having one and we all thought he was the dugz...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
(just) Pre-suspension quality steel mtbs from around 1993-4 are probably the peak of cheap go-anywhere bikes.
Marin palisades, kona cindy or lava, spesh rocky, trek 930
View attachment 867972
Most had rack/ guard eyes, and room for 2.2 tyres and guards.
Touring geometry, quality tubing, all components still available, compatible with most modern stuff.

You can then fit your choice of tyre, saddle, bar and stem, Guards and front rack, make it how you like.
I like the trek & the rocky best - will keep an eye out for them. Hadn't considered the trek, I like that a lot.

Back