Frame sizing - Rules ???

orange71":5tabkhgz said:
that's true for most people - but us freaks with odds dimensions don't have much choice unless we go custom. I'm thinking my only option might be 29er to get everything in proportion.

Well from the evidence presented you are at the extreme end of things, but that said the Ti bike does look quite ok ;)

I tend to go for smaller sizes to reduce top tube length and wheel base to provide a more'flickable' ride for maximum fun. :D

I'm 5'8" and 16" is fine for me. A long seat post makes up for a short seat tube.

OrangeRetro":32y5z3nb said:
I'm 5'8" and 16" is fine for me. A long seat post makes up for a short seat tube.

Oh dear...this is heading into $$$$ territory as I know where there is a 16.5" Merlin :LOL: :LOL: (I've been thinking it would be too small for me.....)

WTB phoenix frames were I think designed to be used with a super long seatpost. So you could always use the arguement that if its good enough for Steve Potts...

neilll":rn5beolz said:
OrangeRetro":rn5beolz said:

Oh dear...this is heading into $$$$ territory as I know where there is a 16.5" Merlin :LOL: :LOL: (I've been thinking it would be too small for me.....)

I think it probably would be a touch on the small size. Sounds as if we're about the same 'dimensions' and a 16.5" would be just too small for me. :cry:

cherrybomb":fwmo575z said:
I think it probably would be a touch on the small size. Sounds as if we're about the same 'dimensions' and a 16.5" would be just too small for me. :cry:

Thanks for the reality check buddy....I've spent W-A-Y too much money recently anyway.....I'll continue my spending sabbatical for a while longer ;)

I'm gonna measure all my top tubes tonight I think...

OrangeRetro":1rja866i said:
I tend to go for smaller sizes to reduce top tube length and wheel base to provide a more'flickable' ride for maximum fun. :D

The other option is to select a frame with short chain stays to keep the wheelbase shorter ;)

You can never really tell until you swing your leg over a bike. For example my On-One is a 16" and looks tiny but it has a reletively long top tube, a good few inches longer then my 17" P7. Its probably a good idea to look at the overall geometry rather then just the seat tube length.

cherrybomb":16cbvzdo said:
neilll":16cbvzdo said:
OrangeRetro":16cbvzdo said:
You're still at it though - I thought you established, rightly, that the 'size' numbers are almost meaningless, unless you know how they are used by the particular manufacturer in question.

Before you can conclude that that 16.5 is too small, you need to know on what basis do Merlin measure it, what is the horizontal top tube length of a 16.5 Merlin and what is the maximum length of stem you'd be happy with. There's other things as well, but that's the minimum.

[just as an example BITD a size 17 Marin was far bigger than a size 19 Orange]

OrangeRetro":8hiotdi8 said:
You can never really tell until you swing your leg over a bike. For example my On-One is a 16" and looks tiny but it has a reletively long top tube, a good few inches longer then my 17" P7. Its probably a good idea to look at the overall geometry rather then just the seat tube length.
Obviously the length of stem that a bike is designed for affects the top tube length - modern bikes like On-Ones and Cotics are built for very short stems to give quicker steering, which is probably a consequence of the move to 100mm+ travel, although I've never seen a scientific rationale for that.

The same factor may explain why AndrewL likes a 100mm Z1 on his large Hei Hei - i.e., it has a very slack head angle which might not work on a smaller bike, but he finds it works fine for him.

Back