Frame repair - cracked tange triple butted Marin

redvinzent

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I've mostly heard a hard no type of answers so far, but I'm still in denial šŸ¤£

I have what most probably is a Marin Team Marin 94-95 frame, which is severly cracked. It started from a pulled out water bottle nut and propagated probably around like 3/4 of circumference of the down pipe, at which point it was parked yeaaaars ago by teenage me.

I still miss it and still time to time try to figure out if it could come back to life. Getting another doesn't seem to be an option anymore lol. I'll admit maybe I don't have too much experience with different bikes, but this was the greatest thing I've ever rode, speaking purely from the geometry standpoint, and everyone who got to try it says the same: this bike just made you go!

So the question is, is this fixable in any way? Or the only option would be to replace the whole down pipe? How do I go about getting cromo tubing of any remotely comparable quality? I can TIG pretty well, tho didn't worked on bike frames yet...

I'll probably add some pics over the weekend

Yes it is fixable. Yes, most likely the whole tube needs replacing. Yes, comparable tubing can I'm sure be found.

The challenge will be finding someone with the skills to do it and can get the right tubing.

@danson67 has saved many a frame (he still has one of mine actually, almost forgot) and has a very good reputation for doing the job right.

Sadly, i doubt it will be worth it. The cost replacing a tube and repainting, will be far greater than a second hand frame. The latter (in retrobike terms) marin teams don't seem to make the same money as the earlier ones.

But if its got sentimental value, them go for it.

Try talking to our tame framebuilder.... @August Bicycles ....plus he's a retrobiker so will understand!

Why "most probably"? Just check the serial number for build year ...what is the second (!) digit in the number? A 4 or a 5?
The very first will be a 2 ...sometimes an 1 even ("Team Issue" frames used for "Team Marin").

Back