For Sale: Dave Yates "Team Issue"

alexb

Dirt Disciple
Way back when racing MTBs was fun, a Leeds Shop, Two Wheels Good sponsored a race team who rode Dave Yates frames, the team included such luminaries as uber hack John Stephenson amongst others.

Dave also built frames for Deb Murrell and Carlton Reid - who's bike was tested in one of the magazines at the time.

As a result I cracked open the piggy bank and ordered one which I raced extensively in the early 90's, even making the centre pages of one of the magazines at the time. It's a superb single track bike, very agile and very fast. The frame is surprisingly light, about 4lbs I'd guess.

I've had the bike since about 1989, but I finally have to accept that it's time to let it go. It's spent the last few years searching for an identity, so it's been a singlespeed and is currently running as a 14 speed hack using an Acera rear mech for gear changing duties. However, apart from the rear mech, the front brakes and the rims, everything else is original and roughly contemporary.

Some pics and details follow:
Frame is filet brazed from Tange Prestige
dysmall.jpg

Forks are Kona Project 2 (the original forks flexed under braking, so I replaced them with the P2's).

The rear triangle is super short, 15.5" chainstays. This bike climbs like nothing else I've ever ridden. The tyres will not break away! What limits your ability is usually your own leg strength and whether or not you can keep the front end down.
chainstaysm.jpg

To get the tyre as close to the BB as possible, Dave built a custom BB shell and the BB is fitted into an alloy shell clamped in place by two allen bolts. However, this is not a tandem sized shell, so you can't fit an eccentric BB for example.
bottom-bracket.jpg

Braking at the rear is taken care of by a Suntour Rollercam
xbracesm.jpg

However, to stop the seatstays flexing, they are extensively cross-braced.
xbraceundersm.jpg

Spec and equipment:
Frame dimensions: Seat tube 21.5" c-c
Top tube 22" c-c, or 22.5" horizontal c-c
Head tube 6" 1" headset
Chain stays 15.5"
Front centre 25.25" with no toe overlap even with my size 9's

Frame and forks: Filet brazed Tange Prestige frame, Kona Project 2 forks.
BB- can't remeber, but it's sealed bearing and probably needs replacing. You can probably fit a Campag 115mm sealed unit to replace it. Threading is English and you can adjust the chainline by moving the BB in the shell.

The frame has braze-ons for 3 bottle cages (2 on the down tube, one under the down tube) and for a rack.

The front mech is a Suntour XCD fitted to a braze on mount and driven by a cable running around a roller fitted to the back of the seat-tube. However, the roller is MIA at present (you can get replacements easily enough because they are often fitted to cyclo-cross bikes).

Headset is a Mavic 315 and is a collector's piece in it's own right. (http://www.bikepro.com/products/headset ... _hset.html) Mine is silver, but the crown is a bit scratched from being removed and refitted for cleaning and lubricating a few times. The headset is fantastic quality. I've cleaned it perhaps 3 times in 20 years. Every time, the grease is pretty close to pristine, the seals are that good!

Cranks are Campagnolo Centaur. I think I have 26 (not fitted), 36, 38, 46, 48 tooth chainrings. I'll supply 36/46 or 38/48 (as fitted), but should be able to change things if required.

Seat post is a Syncros twin bolt, micro adjust in-line post. The post is generally in good shape, but I cut it down and the sticker's a mess.

Front brake is a generic relatively recent Shimano cantilever.

Rear brake is a Suntour XCD Rollercam with custom machined oversized rollers so it will work with narrow modern rims (I have the original rollers as well).

Stem is a Chromed Tioga T-bone 150mm length.

Shifters are Shimano XT thumbshifters.

Brake levers are Shimano XT "2-finger" - although the rubber hoods were removed long ago.

Handlebars are USE.

Grips can be either Onza porkie-paws or Tange Supple Grips (cut down slightly for bar ends).

Bar ends can be supplied - silver Specialized, L-bend style.

Wheels are early Mavic 501 hubs (screw fit at the rear). These are near indestructible, sealed bearing hubs with super light alloy axles.
(http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/mavic/ ... 7and18.jpg)
Unfortunately the front QR has been replaced, and the chroming on the rear is a bit rusted, but the hubs themselves are super smooth.

7 speed modern Shimano 13-28t freewheel fitted.

32 stainless DB DT swiss spokes laced 3 cross to contemporary Mavic XM317 black anodised rims round things out.

I can supply a rather "used" white Selle Italia turbo if you want a saddle.
No pedals, or early series Shimano DX SPD's if you want them.

Most of the kits is in usable state, but knocked about rather than worn. It's all scratched, scuffed and could do with a good clean and polish.

The frame has some corrosion around the BB
bbsm.jpg

You can see some of the threading under the paint here. However, I've been riding the bike for the last 5 years like this and it seems structurally fine.

There is a dent on one of the top-tube guides by the seat post and there is a small dent on the underside of the top tube (cosmetic rather than structural).

I need to clear space, so the whole lot is up for around £200 plus delivery.
I might be prepared to split, bu the priority is to get rid of the frame and forks - so bear that in mind.

If you want to see more pictures or ask questions, please do. I will be very sad to see this bike go, but I have to be realistic, it's not getting the love it deserves right now!

Alex Ball (a dot ball at nhm dot ac dot uk)

Nice bike fella, Dr S was looking for mavic bits so dibs for him if you do split, however at that price I'm sure it will sell.

There's some beautiful brazing on that frame....

Rear mech alone is worth a fair bit.....

OK folks, subject to the usual faffing, this is now "sold".

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Back