nope, I couldn't get the insurance for the acetylene at my new house. still got the torch but hoses, flashbacks and regs are well out of date now.
So then you need a workshop or something? We have these shared workshops where you can rent space.

So then you need a workshop or something? We have these shared workshops where you can rent space.
oh no, I have a workshop, it's still got MIG and arc in their among other bits of kit, I just gave up on scary gas. I could go down the route of arc brazing but it's something I don't do enough of to bother.

oh no, I have a workshop, it's still got MIG and arc in their among other bits of kit, I just gave up on scary gas. I could go down the route of arc brazing but it's something I don't do enough of to bother.
Something just occurred to me, my local builder has a dream workshop, with a huge lathe and a framejig amongst other things, but I never actually noticed gas bottles or a torch when I was there.

Something just occurred to me, my local builder has a dream workshop, with a huge lathe and a framejig amongst other things, but I never actually noticed gas bottles or a torch when I was there.
depends how he's joining, most frame builders these days are TIG which means one bottle of pure argon, easy to hide away. I've not got a TIG set although I have used it in the past it was always "that modern method" until it was all of a sudden the greatest weld method ever (no use when you are lay under a car with your arse in a puddle though).

one day I'll bring my lathe home (it currently resides in my parents garage 90 miles away), but I'm going to replace my workshop first, i've just had the budget approved by the boss (sorry, wife) for a new slab and a 6x4m concrete section building. first I need to finish the house, then I need to find somewhere to empty the current shop in to, then I need get someone to remove the old one and pour a new slab.

depends how he's joining, most frame builders these days are TIG which means one bottle of pure argon, easy to hide away. I've not got a TIG set although I have used it in the past it was always "that modern method" until it was all of a sudden the greatest weld method ever (no use when you are lay under a car with your arse in a puddle though).

one day I'll bring my lathe home (it currently resides in my parents garage 90 miles away), but I'm going to replace my workshop first, i've just had the budget approved by the boss (sorry, wife) for a new slab and a 6x4m concrete section building. first I need to finish the house, then I need to find somewhere to empty the current shop in to, then I need get someone to remove the old one and pour a new slab.
No, all of his work is fillet brazed or brazed with lugs.

6x4 is a nice space.

No, all of his work is fillet brazed or brazed with lugs.

6x4 is a nice space.
possibly he's on oxy propane or oxy mapp then, you can do it with TIG brazing but it's another method that's a bit odd.

6x4 sounds great, till you fill it. :) not much space once you start adding equipment in for both metal and wood work, the table saw alone is 1.2m^2, on that sits a band saw and a CMS, the pillar drill fills another gap, the work bench, the stupid number of bikes, the welding sets, the cutting gear, the random storage stuff, it gets filled very quickly.

Very nice bicycle Titiritero. Do you use it to commute or travel? Is it an easy fold? Looks a bit intricate.
I only bought it a month ago, so I'm still getting used to it. Bike is very easy to fold, the only issue is that you need a 6 hex key to fold it (or build it back), plus another 5 hex if you want to remove the handlebar to put it parallel to the frame.

The folding mechanism, I think it's called LockJaw by Dahon, is not really thought for commuting and folding the bike up to 4 times a day, but rather a full bike that will be used every now and then in public transport. In my case, we travel every weekend to the in-laws which are 2 hours away by train, and then there's a good 2.5km from the station to their home, so this bike is perfect.

But I am already planning some trips as I live in Germany where the regional train network is vast and folding bikes travel free... The bike has a rigid fork, eyelets for racks, can be used with disk or rim brakes and has a derailleur hanger if I want to swap the Alfine hub (or go full Rohloff). So the bike is quite versatile for being a folder...

Picture from internet with a Dahon Cadenza on touring mode

Cadenza touring.jpg

I only bought it a month ago, so I'm still getting used to it. Bike is very easy to fold, the only issue is that you need a 6 hex key to fold it (or build it back), plus another 5 hex if you want to remove the handlebar to put it parallel to the frame.

The folding mechanism, I think it's called LockJaw by Dahon, is not really thought for commuting and folding the bike up to 4 times a day, but rather a full bike that will be used every now and then in public transport. In my case, we travel every weekend to the in-laws which are 2 hours away by train, and then there's a good 2.5km from the station to their home, so this bike is perfect.

But I am already planning some trips as I live in Germany where the regional train network is vast and folding bikes travel free... The bike has a rigid fork, eyelets for racks, can be used with disk or rim brakes and has a derailleur hanger if I want to swap the Alfine hub (or go full Rohloff). So the bike is quite versatile for being a folder...

Picture from internet with a Dahon Cadenza on touring mode

View attachment 775382
Very versatile indeed. I want one now.

Back