@hamster - I know you do a bit of touring, but is a folder a bit of a mute point now in mainland Europe? At least in France if not commuting and not travelling in rush hour most of the time on a TER bikes just piled in and that's it. The TGV is bit a different though.

iu
iu

iu
iu

train-1567498_1920.jpg

• Love
Reactions: R-V
The issue is that the Eurostar now only covers London-Paris, boxed, and with a limited service. So no chance of Lille, Brussels or Amsterdam. It also rules out fast travel to (say) Germany.
Spain is far more difficult, I just about managed to get my Witcomb on a train with staff looking in the other direction (Rinko), as many rural stopping services have vanished.
I agree that TER is pretty good in France. The thing that swung it was Eurostar.

• Wow
Reactions: Woz
That Cherubim looks lovely, but at the same time I'm having difficulty to see the point of it since it doesn't fold. Wheelbase looks long too. Are these designed around something specific for Japan? I can see they would take up less storage in an apartment and be easier to carry upstairs, but still. :confused:
That is indeed the point as far as I am aware. Space is at a premium in Japan, I think. I have seen pics and videos of audiophiles putting huge systems in little rooms, for instance, another very Japanese thing.

I guess you get a stiffer frame and better geometry than a folder, and maybe some more pride of ownership, when a folding bicycle is usually a compromise, not quite a true bicycle, or am I just imagining things?

Reactions: Woz
The issue is that the Eurostar now only covers London-Paris, boxed, and with a limited service. So no chance of Lille, Brussels or Amsterdam. It also rules out fast travel to (say) Germany.
Spain is far more difficult, I just about managed to get my Witcomb on a train with staff looking in the other direction (Rinko), as many rural stopping services have vanished.
I agree that TER is pretty good in France. The thing that swung it was Eurostar.
Check out a website called the man in seat 61(?) that basically tells you how to get anywhere in the world on train. (And Yes, of course there are some exceptions…)

I've used it in the past - very handy especially for sleeper services. It's completely wrong on Eurostar though, as it's boxed only now...and you have to provide the box. The old boxes and strip down area is gone.

I've used it in the past - very handy especially for sleeper services. It's completely wrong on Eurostar though, as it's boxed only now...and you have to provide the box. The old boxes and strip down area is gone.
Not a bag? I think with TGV you can use a bag.

The Eurostar site says box, it was always that way unless carried whole (on the older trains only, not sure if they exist now). On TGV it's bagged but of course within the size guidelines, meaning a folder, or maybe Rinko.

Back