Tapping on this pool of folding bike nerds... On top of my Dahon Cadenza that I posted about 20 pages ago, now my wife also wants a folder. The in-laws have 2, very similar to the one on the picture below (from Google). They are 20", with a Duomatic hub (2 speed, you change gears by backpedaling about a quarter of a turn).

The bikes are in decent condition for their age, but they are however slow and heavy going compared to modern bikes. Apart from mounting a bigger rear sprocket, which I plan to do, any other suggestions to improve/lighten the ride?

1000004148.jpg

Tapping on this pool of folding bike nerds... On top of my Dahon Cadenza that I posted about 20 pages ago, now my wife also wants a folder. The in-laws have 2, very similar to the one on the picture below (from Google). They are 20", with a Duomatic hub (2 speed, you change gears by backpedaling about a quarter of a turn).

The bikes are in decent condition for their age, but they are however slow and heavy going compared to modern bikes. Apart from mounting a bigger rear sprocket, which I plan to do, any other suggestions to improve/lighten the ride?

View attachment 792159
Maybe a narrower tyre, better saddles, or some new grease for the hubs? Other than that, they are folders and will be a compromise.

View attachment 792159
Nice. If they’re steel rims, alloy ones will be lighter, same with the seatpost. I have a “few” old folders and they’re not really worth spending money on them. I just take off anything unnecessary and ride them as they are..

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 4
Back