Flite/Turbomatic to relpace Turbo

JohnDoe

Retro Newbie
I've been looking at 1990's vintage Selle Italia turbos ever since someone decided to relieve me of mine and the prices seem a little bit, off. Either someone wants $40 for a torn up shell or $110+ for a NOS one. On top of that my turbo was never something I found to be exceedingly pretty or comfortable. It wasn't bad, it just didn't blow me away either, so I've been looking at other options.

It looks like decent condition Flites and Turbo matic 2s are abundant, however I've never had experience with these models. Would either of these make a good replacement?

saddles are a very personal thing. my preferred saddle is an instrument of hate for many.

That's quite true, however some saddles do seem to receive near universal praise or hate. For instance the Charge Spoon, which I enjoy immensely, has very few detractors.

I really should ask a better question though. Would the flite or turbo matic 2 be bearable on rocky routes with an unforgiving aluminum frame?

The Flite is a pretty much a Turbo with all the un-necessary pieces trimmed off the sides and Ti rails. the actual part of the saddle that your butt contacts is basically the same. The Ti rails do absorb shock better than the Cro-Mo rails of the Turbo, though.

I know what you mean John. I remember paying £12 for my Turbo form Halfords in the late 80's, and now even tatty ones go for big bucks. I'm sure I still have mine somewhere, but not seen it since I moved house so could be boxed in the loft.

Back