Fixing a Victorian

Perhaps they were still influenced by the high wheeler riding position? After all the high wheeled bicycles were fast. Maybe they thought the high wheel riding position had something to do with fast?

I'm getting 68 degree headtube from that pic...howsabout you woz....I know your reaching for that protractor...😁

Getting 69 degrees parallel - but I'm pretty sure it's off looking at the converging lines at the hubs due to the wide angle lens used.

Really to do this kind of thing with some accuracy you need a prime portrait lens 50mm minimum and (D)SLR on a tripod. Otherwise studio and a large format camera with movements and perspective control.

Getting 69 degrees parallel - but I'm pretty sure it's off looking at the converging lines at the hubs due to the wide angle lens used.

Really to do this kind of thing with some accuracy you need a prime portrait lens 50mm minimum and (D)SLR on a tripod. Otherwise studio and a large format camera with movements and perspective control.
I'd rather just get hold of the bike 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
Perhaps they were still influenced by the high wheeler riding position? After all the high wheeled bicycles were fast. Maybe they thought the high wheel riding position had something to do with fast?

Interesting point. When I poked my nose in that idea I couldn't see any relation really.

Gentlemen wanted a posture more upright, but this picture suggests when you go fast you are leaning much more forward and hands even closer to the body. Your knees are considerably lower than the handle bars tops.

1661776045140.png

Well the women wore corsets and couldn't breathe properly so it's no leap of the imagination every else put up with discomfort...it's the done thing! That pic you found earlier with the gent seated ....any clues to date of that pic?
Mid 1880s they were still muddling around with odd size wheels....well they were this side of the pond!

I really don't think there's much to be garnered from understanding their concept of fit and ergonomics etc....I think it's all in the frame geometry thats starting to evolve..... nabeaquam's Vic is definitely heading in the right direction for handling.....and appears to me to be quite ahead of its time! Quite a steep headangle for its time......just not quite sussed on rider fit positioning on it! A straight seatpost not gallows would be a bit of a start less cost than changing the bar and stem combo!

Interesting point. When I poked my nose in that idea I couldn't see any relation really.

Gentlemen wanted a posture more upright, but this picture suggests when you go fast you are leaning much more forward and hands even closer to the body. Your knees are considerably lower than the handle bars tops.

View attachment 656331
The sexual deprivation of the past is very apparent in this picture, where men built bicycles with wheels so large that the dusty one eye could get a full on abrasive 20mph downhill rubdown, because their spent hands started to have little frictional effect on the meatflap.

The sexual deprivation of the past is very apparent in this picture, where men built bicycles with wheels so large that the dusty one eye could get a full on abrasive 20mph downhill rubdown, because their spent hands started to have little frictional effect on the meatflap.
Brailsford will be contacting you shortly about a mental wellfare position in his latest cycling team. Your detailed analysis is very impressive have your CV ready!

I really don't think there's much to be garnered from understanding their concept of fit and ergonomics etc....I think it's all in the frame geometry thats starting to evolve..... nabeaquam's Vic is definitely heading in the right direction for handling.....and appears to me to be quite ahead of its time! Quite a steep headangle for its time......just not quite sussed on rider fit positioning on it! A straight seatpost not gallows would be a bit of a start less cost than changing the bar and stem combo!

Agree. To sum up my little research time. They still hadn't figured out their arse from their elbow yet :LOL:

Good call on a straight seat-post to try. Poor @Nabeaquam as to mess around with the collet thingy again 🤦‍♂️

Back