Fitting bar tape

Old fashioned tar tape. Impossible to wrap without wrinkles. The winkles pretty much flatten out with use. It’s thin and if you pull hard it rips. IMG_0492.jpeg image.jpg

IMG_20240619_174315.jpg

Here's my latest, Velox tape on my Vitus 992. I wrap bottom to top, inward symmetric wrapping with about a 6mm overlap. I like the slight ridge this leaves on this tape, great comfort and grip. At the top I cut a taper in line with the centre sleeve and tape with electrical tape cut to about 2/3 width. I've also used self-amalgamating silicone tape for this but it doesn't finish quite neatly enough for my taste.

Most important thing for a decent looking job is maintaining the overlap width. I keep the outside of the curve consistent as I go around the drop. Perforated tapes are great for getting it spot on.

Last edited:
View attachment 868778

Here's my latest, Velox tape on my Vitus 992. I wrap bottom to top, inward symmetric wrapping with about a 6mm overlap. I like the slight ridge this leaves on this tape, great comfort and grip. At the top I cut a taper in line with the centre sleeve and tape with electrical tape cut to about 2/3 width. I've also used self-amalgamating silicone tape for this but it doesn't finish quite neatly enough for my taste.

Most important thing for a decent looking job is maintaining the overlap width. I keep the outside of the curve consistent as I go around the drop. Perforated tapes are great for getting it spot on.

That is some very neat taping there. Pro level achieved..

Reactions: Woz

Latest posts

Back