First Ride Out

elspedo

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

I picked up an old Raleigh bike just before christmas on an ebay whim and took it out for my first 20 miles over the weekend.

Just after a bit of advice, when braking, and I don't know if it's just because of the age of the bike (1985), it hardly seems to brake at all. It had been fitted with new brake pads before I got it but going down hills/at any speed and it takes the bike an age to slow.

I did take it into the bike shop before I rode it as honestly I haven't ridden a bike properly in about 5 years so didn't want the wheels falling off at 30 mph, he swapped the brake levers and saddle over as was a lot of play in the levers and the saddle had seen better days. Is it worth bobbing it back in to have more modern callipers put on or is there a more simple fix I am missing as planning to use it for my daily commute which is around 16 miles so need to be able to stop ;)

Cheers in advance

If the brakes are standard single pivot side-pull type brakes, they should give decent performance if adjusted properly. More modern dual pivots are easier to adjust and brake a bit better, but normally side pull brakes should be OK.

Causes could be:

- Do the wheels have steel rims? Steel rims are known for not
braking very well, especially in the wet.

- Brake cables: may need to be tensioned so the brake blocks sit nearer the rim, or maybe the inner cables are kinked, worn or rusty and are sticking inside the outer cable housing

- Very dirty or worn wheel rims

If your local bike shop installed new levers and brake blocks and didn't check the performance of the brakes after, find a different bike shop - they don't seem to know what they are doing.

Here's a couple of good articles on brake installation and adjustment:

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakes.html
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service

Johnny

Cheers for the reply, it does have steel rims and the guy from the bike shop said the only thing letting it down was the steel wheels so they maybe the issue.

Will take a look and have a go at tightening them before I shell out on anything, cheers :)

A classic Raleigh with steel rims and probably Weinmann 730 side pull calipers?

They actually used to joke that Weinmann's were for 'slowing' down, not stopping :)

Its worth trying what Johnsqual has pointed out but if you want stopping power it will be worth upgrading to alloy rims and dual pivot calipers like Shimano or Campagnolo.

Steel rims never brake well, and are disastrously bad when wet - having a rear rack with an anvil on 10 feet of rope is a better braking alternative - kick the anvil off when you want to stop. :LOL:

Seriously, don't fiddle around, get new wheels. I found that modern brake levers made a huge difference and gave acceptable braking with old callipers. Adding modern cables too is well worth it.

Indeed steel wheels won't stop. The Stones had an album called Steel Wheels and they're still rolling...

Back