'First' retro - what would you look for?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

The Hardrock was pretty cheap for a complete bike which is why I was considering it, then I saw the Rock Lobster frame on here not far from me and that started me thinking that maybe I should go for something better to start with. I think that you lot have convinced me to do this - I'll hold out for a complete bike with a decent frame and components to start with and go from there. I've probably got a budget around £100/150. Would rather have rigid forks.

I'll keep an eye out for an Orange - they were always the bikes I remember from BITD as being unaffordable! :) Also liked the Marins and Kona's and I remember Rock Lobster from the MTB mags back then, but none of the local bike shops sold them.

Ideally I'd like something that I can add mudguards to and use for longish rides, but I guess anything can be adapted if you want to make it work :)

I have plenty to ride atm - I've a '05 Claud Butler Stone River which was a insurance replacement for a horrible Scott that I never got on with with was an insurance replacement for the Claud Butler Vantage that I really liked. i've also got a few other rides in the garage but nothing that I seem to want to go out and ride :/ The Stone River seems to weigh a ton - I think its the crappy front forks.

I've looked for another Vantage but the ones that turn up always have the mottled green paint work and it HAS to be the metallic Blue version! I think this will be a 1992 or 1993 model but i'm not really sure. I'm after an 18" if anyone has one knocking about ;)

Thanks for the offer Charlieboy28 - I'll be in touch when I get a new ride! ;) Where about's in Brum are you? I'm Edgbaston way.

MrBen":sdefas2z said:
Hi,

Have the urge to try and find a bike that I love riding as much as my old Claud Butler Vantage back in the 90's - so I think this means something retro and rigid. Can't find another Vantage locally, and I think I fancy something steel anyway.

I've spotted a complete hardrock locally but I've just seen a rock lobster expert frame for sale on here and now I'm thinking maybe I should look for something a bit more interesting than a hardrock.

If you were starting you retro collection from scratch what would you be looking for?

It will be used for canal paths, and sustrans trails to start with - though I fancy a go at canock once I'm a bit healthier :)

I started by discovering this site - I was after parts to refurbish a GT and the site popped up search after search.

I had already been rebuilding older bikes including lots of road bikes so my first 'from scratch' would have to be something radically different and obscure. Something that could still be easily maintained, you wouldnt want a build to die because of some obscure part. I would keep the drive train fairly simple as that keeps the bike alive too, as discussed at length, bikes are for riding no matter how old - if they are safe to ride that is!

I've just been around Cannock on something very obscure, possibly a one-off, with drum brakes, no suspension and 'interesting' frame geometry - it survived quite happily even if I didnt.

Lots of good advice here, and I think you're doing the right thing in sensible/financial terms. Just keep scanning the for sale forum and don't be tempted to jump on something just because it's there, something else is always just around the corner! For £150 you'll find something really nice on here that should be more or less ready to go :cool:

That said, I'd personally still go Charlieboy's route of chasing the dream frame and building to your own spec, but then I've never been accused of doing the sensible thing... :oops:

Hall Green here Mr Ben, but the canal links everywhere in Birmingham as you know,
can do loops as well using the union and stratford canal and begin and end in town.

if you have a rideable bike give me shout, although the paths are a mudwallow at the moment, they are still just about rideable.

If you are medium height and you don't have a bike give me a shout too.

You lot are just enablers aren't you! The frame does look like a bargain though... as its a bit rough around the edges I wouldn't mind giving it a respray either - won't feel as guilty changing the original paint job.

I've also been offered a couple of GT frames in 18" and I still like the look of that Rock Lobster - I think its the colour. And my eBay account is now full of Marin's, Kona's, Orange, and GT's! Need to sell some stuff to make space I think! Anyone after a fancy carbon road bike? For sale to fund new found retro addiction...

So, if I was going to start with just the frame what would I need?! Atm I have a saddle I could use, and thats it - so I'd need everything else! I've even started looking at bikes that are the wrong size thinking that if they were a good price I could strip them and transfer all the parts to a different frame...

I can see how this addiction starts! I've not even ridden one yet!

Back