'First' retro - what would you look for?

MrBen

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Have the urge to try and find a bike that I love riding as much as my old Claud Butler Vantage back in the 90's - so I think this means something retro and rigid. Can't find another Vantage locally, and I think I fancy something steel anyway.

I've spotted a complete hardrock locally but I've just seen a rock lobster expert frame for sale on here and now I'm thinking maybe I should look for something a bit more interesting than a hardrock.

If you were starting you retro collection from scratch what would you be looking for?

It will be used for canal paths, and sustrans trails to start with - though I fancy a go at canock once I'm a bit healthier :)

I started with the bike I would have gotten if I had enough money to buy when I was younger.
Mine was a gt rts1 in 93,but me being 14 when they released it I had little or no chance of getting it at the time.
Last year while looking on eBay I found a rts1 frame in the usa,and then I went back down memory lane!
Now just after a year since then I have 2 rts1's a zaskar (am much poorer for it but I wouldn't have it any other way!)

So a bike to start with,for me it was my dream bike but your first build will always be special so go for what you want!!

go for whatever takes your fancy it's nice to build a bike up from scratch but pricey I would buy a complete bike like the hardrock because you can ride it straight away you never know you might not get on with the riding position of older bikes that way you save a bit of cash and if you do like it you have one to ride wile you build your next one

orangeone":2d085bhq said:
go for whatever takes your fancy it's nice to build a bike up from scratch but pricey I would buy a complete bike like the hardrock because you can ride it straight away you never know you might not get on with the riding position of older bikes that way you save a bit of cash and if you do like it you have one to ride wile you build your next one

This is great advice. :D

Check for ripples under the down tube, any cracks anywhere on the frame, and also check that the seatpost isn't seized in the frame!

Cannock Chase would be a good place to rip around on a retro steed. Despite my location it used to be my local trail network a few years ago and also raced XC there in the late 80's / early 90's.

nevadasmith":2hvq2rdl said:
orangeone":2hvq2rdl said:

This is great advice. :D

but the hardrock is gonna have shite components and the frame will not be great either when compared to the lobster, you will also deny the guy the fun of sourcing all the parts and building the bike. The lobster would also suit a more modern type build, risers and decent travel forks if riding position is not great.

buy a frame and go from there i say ;)

oh just noticed you are Birmingham too, so happy to help with any tools, parts and advice, and i also need to develop my fitness and am well known for hammering the canals, well i was before it rained all the time :cry:

I think you have a few choices.

Built up bike or frame.

Dreambike, or something to get going.

If I were starting from scratch, with what I know now, I would get a built up Orange P7 or C16R; they are cheap, great riding bikes that can easily be upgraded or resold.

However, what I did do was go on a hand made British custom frame bender, and so I now have a garage full or Roberts, Yates, Rourke and am constantly scouring adverts and ebay.

Be warned, don't do I what I do, do what I say :twisted:

Hi mr ben, you will probably be be best first deciding a dudget for your bike/build. Costs can quickly spiral out of control when you start wanting the bling bits n pieces on it.

I will add some specificity: A steel Specialized Stumpjumper in good nick! All you could want from a steel rigid bike.

Back