First MTB's

Townsend Beartooth bought in 1994 for £110 which was a sale price, you could not give that bike away today.

Gloss black 10 speed with friction shifters, excluding tyres, rims, seat, grips and brake blocks everything else was High Tensile steel so it weighed a ton. Extremely overbuilt it was actually ver tough and eventually died through corrosion not impacts with the trail although it had a great many.

Weirdly I still get nostalgic about it especially if I see one today.
I think I need help !!!!!!!! :oops:

British eagle shadow, about '90/'91.

Had a DX/LX mixed group on it, RM20s, quite good gear really for the frame. Seem to remember it costing about £250-300 at the time. In fact I think that a friend of mine still has it where I sold it to him when I bought my C-16. By the time I sold it to him it had virtually a full XT group on it and a rather nice flexstem...

Miss it really. I guess that If I contacted him I could probably have it back.

Dawes Wildcat around 1987? I was built like a fly rod at the time and the old geezer in Tower Cycles (Newton Abbot) with a lifetime of selling road bikes said I needed a 23.5" frame. I have really short legs so you can imagine the results. I owe what little sense of balance and bike handling skills I own to that bike. You did NOT want to fall off!
It had a full indexed Exage Trail groupset and bolt on wheels. Only the Edge had QR back then.

Specialized Rockhopper around 1990/91 I think.

It was in a trendy-at-the-time cerise colour with Exage kit (I think).

Had it for a year and traded in for a Saracen Kili Flier which was nicked shortly afterwards and replaced with a Cannondale M700 in 1992.

seeing as this thread has been resurrected from the catacombs...

1990 - Fluoro yellow Peugeot 'something or other'...too big and with 200GS (M200) group, plastic pedals, about as light as an elephant seal :LOL:

1990 blue/splatter effect Kona Fire Mountain. I'd been road biking since I was ten and was lucky enough to have an uncle who knew what he was talking about so no really crappy steed for me! However after six months of owning it I decided it was too heavy and since none of my mates had MTB's I swapped it for a road bike. :oops:

First ride which actually got me into mountain biking was a '94 Kona Cindercone.

Ammacco Boss…….but moving on.

My first proper bike was a second hand Specialized Rockhopper - Early 90's in blue.

It originally came with a U brake under the seatstay but the previous owner (family friend) had had canti mounts and bridge brazed on.

I bought the bike for £50 in 1995 (I was 14) Full XT including thumbies. ACE.

Went through a changed in 1996 with a Quadra 10 fork some profile riser basrs (inc brace), zoom stem, Wellgo flatties, Flite, X lite brake levers and a funky yellow paint job.

Bike was sadly stolen in 1998 making way for my Caldera (insurance claim)

I have one picture of the bike and I plan to build it back up one day.

Similar to Jez’s comment earlier I think mine was a 21.5 or a 22.5 massive by todays standards.

I’ll post a picture once I’ve scanned it in.

Mark

93 cannondale killer v/m500, which I still have and will be bringing back to service :D . Very small frame which gave a BMX like chuckable ride.

Bickerton 'Mean Green' - wish bone rear stays (very Clockwork like)

first one got nicked so insurance replacement ended up with:

200GS thumbshifters

XT cantis (18th birthday present)

Black Araya rims

300LX mechs from a car boot sale (to replace the 200GS)

Tioga Farmer Johns.

Being Hulk green it was always a head turner.

It got nicked so...

It got replaced with a £499 Claud butler Pagan in Yeti green.

Reynolds 531

500LX

Wolber rims

First pair of Mag 21's in Huntingdon! ;)

There was a £20 'bounty' on my bike to the first person that could nick it.

:LOL:

Back