First MTB's

I had a Townsend! It was yellow and was worth 220 quid new! It also benefitted from huge standover clearance NOT (it was a 23.5" frame)

I was 14 at the time. What the hell do parents think when they buy bikes for their teenagers?

It actually wasnt too bad to ride - Shimano plasticky Exage Country groupset. Mmmmm.

Sold it for 75 quid in the end!

my mate had a Muddy fox roadrunner ( with paw print disc wheel ) i was so jealous

There was always one of those chained up outside my school - we could never work out who owned it but that disc wheel was excellent. :cool:

mongoose alta in about 1989 (I think), was a waaaay large 21" frame (now ride a 19-20" and have grown about 6" since then!)

great cheap bike, with suntour x-press gears and diacompe brakes, 36 hole araya rims - kept me going until 93 when i saved up enough to buy my kona cindercone for £609 (i remember that well!), didn't really change anything except get some onza barends!

can't find any pics of it tho...

I was just too small for a decent bike aged 15 (1990) so I got a 2nd hand Giant Rider which is still in my garage ... a year later, I'd grown sufficiently to warrant a Trek 7000 which had Deore DX as I recall - it was awesome. I think some here has one (Mark Harding?) - sapphire blue with yellow decals.

There's probably some video knocking about of it somewhere (with Thousand Yard Stare soundtrack) ... upgraded to Flexstem and DX spuds which I still used today - the Spuds, not the Flexstem!

I can remember coming home from Harry Hall cycles in manchester with a brand new anodized purple seat quick release and thinking it was the most beautiful thing in the world ( not being able to afford the bright pink Funk frame that was hung up in there) used to drool over the saracen mtbs that they stocked, :oops: :D allways wanted a killi flyer

Muddy Fox Pathfinder - the dark red/brown with yellow crackle paint.
20" frame and i was 14 - I only ride a 19" now and i've grown about a foot in height since i was 14! :shock:
Sold it to a mate who had it nicked from outside Torquay Tech.

Back