First FUNK

sgltrak

Dirt Disciple
I have been a member for a short time here, but in that time I have seen that many of you are fans of FUNK bicycles. Therefore, I thought I would share this photo I took of Daryl with what I believe was his first bike back in 1988. He stopped by our shop and introduced himself and let us ride his new creation. Just riding it around the neighborhood, I couldn't get a good feel for how it would perform off road. We kept in touch with him and several months later, he came back with the design many of you have. Daryl was trying to get his name and frames recognized, so for the 1989 race season he traded a co-worker of mine one of his FUNK frames for my co-worker's Klein Pinnacle frame.

Attachments

• DarrylFunk1988.JPG
    DarrylFunk1988.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 666
See what a Trimble and an Sbike in an dark alley can create.
I do actually like it :) , where is it now I wonder :?:

W-O-W that is pretty cool.... :D

Are you still in contact with Daryl?

There's a bunch of people here with all sorts of questions and the email on his current website never seems to get an answer.

retrobikeguy":1kly8n4a said:
See what a Trimble and an Sbike in an dark alley can create.

I do actually like it :) , where is it now I wonder :?:

If that BB post is still attached to the rest of the frame I'd be very surprised, probably been recycled into 1000 budwiser cans!

I love these sorts of pics, you can really see the evolutionary start of his bikes there! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site!

neilll":2oqk8qxi said:
Are you still in contact with Daryl?

I haven't spoken with him in close to 20 years. I got out of the business several years ago. I think I saw him at Interbike a few years back, but didn't get a chance to speak with him. I'm sure he wouldn't have known me anyway.

Back