fined £80

Hmmm difficult this one. I doubt it was a deliberate action by the passenger.

The article does not say where there taxi was parked nor which door was opened which could narrow down where to point the finger of blame.

A cyclist must anticipate a door being opened when passing a parked car. Tragically in this case the cyclist the cyclist ended up under another car.

Re:

Agree. A tragic accident, I'm not sure what a greater fine or imprisonment would achieve. I certainly wouldn't want this on my conscience if I were the passenger.

Re:

It could be why the driver is being investigated, the car is their responsibility and they should be parked somewhere safe and say if it's clear to open the door since they have the mirrors and view a passenger doesn't have.

It's just a brief update on an ongoing case. But it was an accident and living with the outcome is probably punishment enough.

Re:

i should think the other car driver is feeling terrible. This is a nightmare come true. Why i hated cycling in London. Just so busy from all directions. The man on the bike paid the ultimate price.

I shall never forget, while riding home in the morn's pre-dawn hour from a night's tom-catting in other parts of our fair west-coast city many decades ago, coming upon the aftermath of a motorbike/car accident scene with the police tape and traffic cones still in place, a small dual-purpose motorbike lying on its side some meters away from an intersection and the large pool of hydro-carbon fluids that had leaked out of its tank moist on the pavement, like blood ... two pairs of tennis shoes strewn on the pavement in its vicinity.

Shoes often get ripped from a victim's feet, during a traumatic/violent impact. Those empty shoes and that gasoline stain on the pavement left a mark forever etched in my memory.

Life is a crap-shoot; and often fleeting ...

And it was only a block away from that very intersection (the intersection, on one of Vancouver's main arterial roads, is at the bottom of a long and fairly steep hill) where a decade before that I was 'doored' by a driver while I was ripping along the flats on my bicycle just below the hill, to try and maintain my momentum (ya ya - I was splitting the space between the slow lane of traffic and the lane of parked cars). In the blink of an eye I went from screaming along at 45 mph to putting a knee through a Camero door window followed by flipping through the air like a rag doll, to tumble into the midst of a pack of mad city drivers with tires screeching just inches from my head (no helmets, back then) ...

Of course, that female driver had the audacity to start berating me vociferously and hitting me with an umbrella for having "damaged her car door in such a calloused way", while I was writhing in agony on the road ... until a concerned passer-by stepped in to put her into her place.

You just never know ... :facepalm:

Re:

I can't beleive the fine is so low :shock: but events like this are why kids who are doing their " BikeAbility" courses at school these days are taught that when passing parked cars to leave enough space between them and the car for a door to be opened.

I kept telling my son to keep to the left but a friend who is a trained BikeAbility trainer told me that my son is right.
Makes sense really

Back