Finding wheels with wide rims

Ajoten

Old School Hero
I have an old cyclocross bike which doesn't have the original wheels. It's currrently got Open Pro rims, happily fitting 32c tyres, but according to official figures shouldn't be taking more than 28c.

I want to put some fatter tyres on it, let's say 45c. I presume I need different wheels, and am looking for 2nd hand ones as it's not worth fancy new. Is the only way of getting this right to use vernier calipers to confirm inside rim width? Anything one could ask a prospective seller who doesn't own such a tool? Am I unlikely to find anything suitable that isn't modern gravel/29er/proper cross wheel that would be more £££?

You'Ve personal experience you can run up to about 36/38 on open pros without any issues. (As long as you aren't doing stupid things with pressure/ghetto tubeless etc)

The 28 figure is an ancient ETRTO thing based on ancient rims and is pretty much meaningless unless you manage to find a 40 year old rim/tyre combo.
AFAIK mavic is pretty much the only manufacturer still clinging on to it.

And FWIW a lot of the early 29ers were run on pretty narrow road rims, even open pros, so 48/50/52 tyres

Back