Falcon Huret

AJF

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

My Dad recently gave me his Falcon bike, which is about 50 years old and generally runs like a dream, however several spokes have become loose and the rear wheel is no longer running true.

The model is Huret and the gear lever says 'Made in France' although the sticker on the frame says 'Made in Lincolnshire'.

Do you know if and where I could get replacement spokes? They measure approximately 30cm. Or would it be more straightforward to replace the wheel?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Any local bike shop should be able to help here. Love to see some images of the bike.

Re: Re:

bagpuss":3rtk915j said:
Your Falcon bicycle was made in England .
See history links here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Cycles
and here.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... Falcon.htm

Huret refers to the make of gears used on your bike.
Info here.
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Sac ... leurs.html

I have a number of Falcon catalogues so with a link to some pictures of your bike i should be able to tell you more .
Hi, I have recently bought a gas pipe Falcon from 86/87
Its white and has Kelloggs Cup Winner 84,85,86 stickers on top tube and forks.
The original rear caliper has lost its tension and needs to be replaced, I have no measuring tape and need to know if the wheels are 27" or 700c and I would also appreciate if anybody could point me in the direction of a decent replacement caliper, I am thinking its best to get a set, front and rear as the rims are chrome plated steel and as you guys probably know they are no fun stopping in the wet.

Re:

A link to some pictures would help .
What make are the brake calipers that are fitted a present an they centre pd are they centre pull or side pull .
My catalogues have no dates on .

The tyres on the wheels will tell you what size they are .

longjon":35ka2u2l said:
Hi, I have recently bought a gas pipe Falcon from 86/87
Its white and has Kelloggs Cup Winner 84,85,86 stickers on top tube and forks.
The original rear caliper has lost its tension and needs to be replaced, I have no measuring tape and need to know if the wheels are 27" or 700c and I would also appreciate if anybody could point me in the direction of a decent replacement caliper, I am thinking its best to get a set, front and rear as the rims are chrome plated steel and as you guys probably know they are no fun stopping in the wet.

A couple of things you can do:

1. if you have small ruler, measure the (vertical) distance between the brake's fixing bolt and the rim, known as the 'reach'. The reach of many, if not all, brake callipers can be found on the Internet, for instance on http://velobase.com/default.aspx.

2. If there are tyres on the bike, they will have a size on them: 27 x something will be 27", 622 x something will be 700C.

If you like the bike, this might be a good time to consider a pair of wheels with aluminium rims. A useful upgrade, and not only for braking.

Thanks for the replies, the tires are probably the original ones and I can't make out any writing on them, it was the first thing I looked for, I will measure the brake reach tomorrow. I am not sure on the brakes maker but the drive train is Falcon branded, I imagine rebranded Weimann?
I am indeed looking at getting new wheels on her, if I bought 700c would they fit on it even if the originals were 27"?
I just had another look, they are Kenda 700x25c tires.
Really am tempted to buy a flip flop hub wheelset upgrade the BB and crank and turn her into a fixie, its just an expensive game :/

bagpuss":22uwen3t said:
A link to some pictures would help .
What make are the brake calipers that are fitted a present an they centre pd are they centre pull or side pull .
My catalogues have no dates on .

The tyres on the wheels will tell you what size they are .
Side pull, no name on them but 521 and 08 inside a circle of dots is embossed on the reverse. I am guessing they were made by Falcon, like the dérailleurs, perhaps rebranded Weimann?

Yeh, I've never had one but they look slick and Sheldon Brown nearly has me sold on the idea, I would want a flip flop hub mind so I can switch between fixed and SS. Probably not going to do it until I get a replacement road bike, currently bidding on a cheap Falcon Reynolds 501 near me on Ebay, so if I get that I will us that as my daily ride and use the hi tensile falcon for the fixed gear conversion.
Why?? are fixed gear bikes frowned upon on this forum?

Back