Explosif advice...

cybertrophic

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I am possibly getting a Kona Explosif frame - not sure of the year, but it's a dark blue, if that helps! It's a medium size, so whilst it might be a little small (I'm 6'1" with a 32" inside leg), I think it's rideable.

The big question is, what to build it up with? Should I stick with P2 forks, kona controls, etc, or could I look at Pace RC35s? Would they even fit - has anyone done this?

I'm also looking at building it up with age-related quality parts, but I'm struggling to remember names and specs - is there anywhere that might list suitable stems, bars, seatposts, hubs, cranks, etc? I'm thinking of the sorts of things you used to lust over as a kid back in '92, but which I can't recall having been made to throw my mountain of MBUK mags out when I went to Uni in '95 by my long-suffering parents...*sigh* Of course, period XT/XTR is on the list, if I can find/afford it.

I'm thinking of getting it resprayed to match the Swallow Griffon MBUK reviewed Campag's Euclid groupset with, as I loved that bike, but will never be able to find one, it seems, so white and purple components are not off-limits!

Feel free to chip in as I am open to suggestions and I'd like to make it a community project if I can! Share the fun, that's what I say!

first thoughts..

middleburn RS7 crank?
USE Seatpost?
Hope or Bullseye Hubs?
Mavic ceramic rims?

At this point I would just like a list of all suitable exotica that might fit on this frame and I'll work out a build list from the catalogue of wish-list parts!

cybertrophic":2b1zw52p said:
The big question is, what to build it up with? Should I stick with P2 forks, kona controls, etc, or could I look at Pace RC35s? Would they even fit - has anyone done this?

Feel free to chip in as I am open to suggestions and I'd like to make it a community project if I can! Share the fun, that's what I say!

haha - just what i'm doing - RC35s, probably with disc mount adaptor, on a 1992 Explosif :D

Build it to suit where its going to be ridden, that's my line anyway ;)

Kona's go up in inch sizes, there was no real thing as a 'medium' back then.

is it 17 or 18 inch or possibly 19 inch ?
if it 17 or 18" you may find it cramped, you may not ;)

Is blue the original colour I don't remember the early 90's Explosif's being blue ?

anyways,
http://mombat.org/Timeline.htm

I would guess it could be one of these? If it's an 18, it was designed for up to 6-0, so you should be ok with it I'd guess.

I haven't seen one with RC35s, but I'd guess it should be good.

Attachments

• 1991 Explosif size 18 w slicks.jpg
    1991 Explosif size 18 w slicks.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,032
Anthony":2eblgnwa said:
I would guess it could be one of these? If it's an 18, it was designed for up to 6-0, so you should be ok with it I'd guess.

Yes that looks like the same colouring. It's an 18" I beleive, so it should be ok, if a little snug.

I live near Chicksands and Woburn so I have those trails available as well as the usual woodland bridleways, so I'm after kit that can take the usual quamlgmire of mud left by our equine friends - hence the idea of Pace forks as they're UK-built and fare well in our conditions (drizzle and mud)...

Yes, I think an RC35 is the right kind of length and I expect it would be up to the job, especially if you got it serviced by justbackdated on here - not just that he is on this website, he is the leading restorer of Pace forks in the country and has all the spares etc.

There's a timeline on Pace forks here http://www.goatsurfer.com/pace_forks.html

Now you know the year you can start trawling through the catalogues in the gallery for ideas on the pimpy parts you desire, thats the easy part...finding them is a lot more fun.

RC35's would be a suitable length, you wouldnt want to go for anything more recent really.

I would assume you will be looking for a 1 1/8th steerer version, anthony will be able to confirm that (or you will if you get the frame and measure it before he replies to this thread).

As stated, Justbackdated is the man for retro Pace forks.

Anthony":2734zc6u said:

Now you have ;)

kona_explosif_huey.jpg

Hi everyone,

I was on here last week, have the Kona Explosif, just wondering if anyone has any interest in it, the Ebay auction ends tomorrow.

Thanks! Cat

Back