Ever wondered about where a bike is now?

2manyoranges

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
In 1995, still recovering from the death from cancer of my young wife, I had a not-so-good relationship which broke up pretty quickly. As part of the ‘deal’ the person wanted an AMP B3 which I had just built, but instead I found a chrome Team Marin locally, with Manitou 1s - original grey and silver ones. It was pretty ratty but had XT throughout and with a service came up well. On went some white Porcs (!!) and after some quite rewarding ‘proving’ rides on the South Downs it was handed over. It was Prestige, and ran really really well - lovely long toptube and that great steel feel - it was just SOOO stable and fast on the descents. Since V brakes were by then established, original XT Vs enabled you to actually have some control on white knuckle descents, while the geometry meant excellent traction for extreme climbing. Up it went, grind grind, and down it went whoooosh. Same geometry as my ‘90 Marin Ti and almost as light. Well, with some regret I handed it over, and off it went to Sarf London.

Thing is….I wonder where it is now?

Well, with some regret I handed it over, and off it went to Sarf London.

Thing is….I wonder where it is now?

Cash converters?
The Thames?
Either that or your last beer can contained a few atoms of it.

For me it’s my first gen 853 Inbred. Sold it to a mate as I wasn’t riding it and needed the space. Few years later I enquired about buying it back but he’d sold it on by then. Very simple bike, not worth much but it’s still the only bike in 35 years that I regret not keeping hold of.

Most of mine relate to motorbikes but I did have a Raleigh something when I was 14/15 that my dad sold because we (the pub) needed the money. I was assured that I would have it replaced in better times, but it never was. It’s probably been recycled into part of a washing machine now or at the bottom of the Erewash canal but I like to think it brought someone some joy first.

I know were my BH Top Line or Grisley Mega is.

It was in good condition, decals perfect, shiny aluminium, and a near brand new XC 700 fork that works good and serviced. I sold it because the wheels were not very good and need some money to level up and was too expensive to put in similar level to the Marin Team Issue (change that horryble brakes and new wheels perhaps new shifters ... too much)

So I put a advertisment. A rasta guy come and buy it. I shaw the bicycle one month later: All decals from the fork and frame have gone. Purple Ati Tomac grips gone and any trace of purple has gone and change to black. He has buy a can of black and spray the purple parts. Now it is a rat comutter 😔

I don´t know why he bought this bicycle, there were cheaper options to do that.

1719996905434.jpeg

Last edited:
I know were my BH Top Line or Grisley Mega is.

It was in good condition, decals perfect, shiny aluminium, and a near brand new XC 700 fork that works good and serviced. I sold it because the wheels were not very good and need some money to level up and was too expensive to put in similar level to the Marin Team Issue (change that horryble brakes and new wheels perhaps new shifters ... too much)

So I put a advertisment. A rasta guy come and buy it. I shaw the bicycle one month later: All decals from the fork and frame have gone. Purple Ati Tomac grips gone and any trace of purple has gone and change to black. He has buy a can of black and spray the purple parts. Now it is a rat comutter 😔

I don´t know why he bought this bicycle, there was cheaper options to do that.

View attachment 865030
Argh RIP

Yes, which reminds me, I still have a wanted ad up for it on here.

Some people paint a nice, legit bike with spray, badly done, to put off thieves - often they live where thieves are plentiful.

Some people paint a nice nicked bike with spray, to the best of their abilities, which is badly, so the rightful owner doesn't recognise it.

I had my first mtb, diamondback topanga 1988?, nothing special, stolen from my back garden. That's the one I wondered where it was.

I say "nothing special", but £300 was a lot of money back then!

Last edited:
I tracked down my first 'good' bike last year - it was a red '94 Rockhopper with a Duotrack fork. I sold it to one of my university professors 25 years ago. I got in touch with him for work reasons and he mentioned he still has it and still uses it regularly. He agreed that if he ever wanted rid of it, he'd sell it back to me!

Some people paint a nice, legit bike with spray, badly done, to put off thieves - often they live where thieves are plentiful.

Some people paint a nice nicked bike with spray, to the best of their abilities, which is badly, so the rightful owner doesn't recognise it.

I had my first mtb, diamondback topanga 1988?, nothing special, stolen from my back garden. That's the one I wondered where it was.

I say "nothing special", but £300 was a lot of money back then!
Ah that’s a point

Cannondale SM800
Stolen from my car outside my wife-to-be’s flat in Walthamstow
Teal Blue 18inch
Distinctive Campag headset
Sun XC group

The 18inch frame tended to crack at the headtube (!)

Wonder where that is now?

Back