Erm, help! XT M732 rear hub issue

Disco Drive

Senior Retro Guru
Advice please. Just bought a set of wheels with a 135mm axle for the wife's kestrel that has 130mm spacing (because I'm a bell-end) can I swap out the axle or is the hub shell a different width too? Also why the hell won't a 7 speed cassette fit on the freehub? It would need a 5mm spacer in order for it to tighten up!

Educate me! :?

Re:

And I guess the freehub is meant for a 8/9/10 speed cassette which is wider than a 7 speed cassette.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd5XAQfgaA[/youtube]

You can fit a shorter 140mm (130mm OLN) axle: all you will need to do is swap to a 5mm thinner LHS spacer. A stack of washers from B&Q works as well as anything else. You will then need a minor redish of the wheel to get it centred again.

I think your hub must already be a bit of a frankenstein as M732 is 7 speed. Older Shimano hubs are all generally interchangeable in bits so it looks as though somebody has fitted an 8 speed freehub body on it. Therefore you could instead sweap back to a 7 speed body and not faff about with swapping the spacer.

Thanks Hamster...it looks like that is the most plausible explanation. I've got 2 weeks to get this sorted! (the wheels are a birthday pressie for her)

Latest posts

Back