Emigrating to the usa???

I think in regards to the crime problem, a lot of the USA is a wasteland. Lots of wide open spaces and mountain beauty but still.

I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico (where Paula Radcliffe and a ton of Kenyans, some I met, go train high altitude) and despite Albuquerque having a crime problem it never effected me.

Speaking of Canada and where I am in Minnesota, there is not, fingers crossed, too much crime. It gets so blasted cold here, I don't think you have the same scenes as is in some of the notorious areas with high crimes.

I've considered splitting off to some foreign country myself. I'm not sure if Minneapolis is my permanent home. I don't drink much but there is a British Bar downtown: http://www.britspub.com/ . Interesting place. All that said, there is some scenic beauty abounding here, the river and nice old architecture down town. I appreciate a lot of things more since I moved here.

But the gun stories are treacherous when you hear about some nut going off and doing something.

When I left university20 years ago I spent a 1 1/2 years travelling the states
and canada. bought an old yank tank and visited 27 states.
My general opinion is that the scale of the country is truly impressive and beautifull. The people are generally very friendly and welcoming,and they do seem to have an ifinity for the English and our accent.
The most supprising thing I found was how very conservative and religious the people are when you drive through america .It seemed like everyone went to church.
I never had any real trouble, but I had long hair an ear ring at the time and
would get a lot of stick about that by the rednecks back then.
The east and west coast were my favourite parts with a more liberal sensibilities and a less insular outlook .
Obviously these are my humble oppinions of the country 20 years ago and
I have very fond memories.

Don't forget the health care problem - if you lose your job (eg due to a health problem) you lose your health care. Especially if you are thinking of bringing up a family, I'd rate Oz, NZ and Canada as much more attractive places to live.

colinr":19t2a48i said:
When I left university20 years ago I spent a 1 1/2 years travelling the states
and canada. bought an old yank tank and visited 27 states.
My general opinion is that the scale of the country is truly impressive and beautifull. The people are generally very friendly and welcoming,and they do seem to have an ifinity for the English and our accent.
The most supprising thing I found was how very conservative and religious the people are when you drive through america .It seemed like everyone went to church.
I never had any real trouble, but I had long hair an ear ring at the time and
would get a lot of stick about that by the rednecks back then.
The east and west coast were my favourite parts with a more liberal sensibilities and a less insular outlook .
Obviously these are my humble oppinions of the country 20 years ago and
I have very fond memories.

Our neighbour is a Minister from Scotland of whom I've never tried to find out what is his exact denomination.

Keeping my words brief, I have heard time and again, in England and on forums things about religion and I'd have to say, that is a Secular view. If large parts of Europe are like that, that proves little except that that is a secular view. There is nothing new in hearing that view again. If that separates the US from Europe, then so be it, even if some of the popular religions down South might be your Fundamental varieties of Christianity.

Here is a definition of "Secular (ism)", it might indeed be something of it's own religion and in ways, I wonder if the system might teach that.

That said, parts of Europe obviously still cling to their Christian heritage it would seem to me, perhaps, Ireland, Italy, etc.

One of my best friends moved to Texas with work, and loved it so much he's now married to a Texan girl.

He had to jump through a rediculous number of hoops to get his green card, though.

chris667":38ewu42s said:
One of my best friends moved to Texas with work, and loved it so much he's now married to a Texan girl.

He had to jump through a rediculous number of hoops to get his green card, though.

Yeah I have heard that (lots of hoops and texan girls...)

The site I listed earlier: http://www.britspub.com/ has a mailing list anyone can get on.

I mention that, because they said, of all things, when the LA Galaxy with David Beckham on Tour played the Minnesota Thunder team in football/soccer; that after the game, Beck's dropped in there. It's just their word. I know the people a little bit... here's my story I've told time and time again.

It was July 8, 2005 (?? the day after the bombings in London, not sure of the year) and on a nearby pitch in the men's recreational league, the Brits Pub team was playing. Now, I have actually cheered on the England National Team of Football, actually have watched them play since more or less, '86/'90 World Cups so I recognised the Brit's Pub Team had more or less, England uniforms on and feeling bad at the news, I stopped on my bike and cheered them on some.

I've heard, English accent, girls like it. Can one put on a English accent??

What is interesting, is I know a guy, he goes to Brit's Pub, every time the 3 Lions play, he's a West Ham fan but anyway, I think he puts on an American Accent... sure 'nuff, isn't that odd, he spoke to me one way and then, on seeing I was American, put on an American accent, I might be able to put on a British accent, but I'd feel a bit funny trying it too much in a Brit Bar, though everyone's been real nice, there are even a number of Indian/Hindu types that show up at that bar who must be Englanders in fact, and talk just like it. I went and saw the Croatia at England game about 2 years ago, 18 mos. ago actually when Croatia sent England crashing out. I go there, on occassions where the only chance to really see a game is when someone has Setanta and then they make you pay a fee.

As for England itself, I have a friend, in Rotheram. I understand that is near Nottingham. I've kept up with football over there, I know their team had some problems because they went into "Administration" or close to it. Got decked a bunch of points, maybe relegated in the past few years. But I met my friend per Ebay and still communicate some. Ah, the seller was a She after all. I got some Raleigh decals, they sell a lot of cycling goods, different countries, wide selection, saddles, old time shoes, Carlton things, etc. I've never pried into why they sell these things, but My friend Elizabeth if you are out there, hello! They may even use an alias for Ebay for all I know.

So, I know a few people from England here, This Stuart fellow, could really really play football/soccer in pick up games, passing, shooting, dribbling, tall man, really played well, 3 people from Scotland (actually, for one guy, if you include his wife, his 2 kids, that number goes up dramatically, our neighbour again). Hoping all goes well for them.

I was playing a lot of the pick up games, but I've turned back to cycling a bit more lately. I got stuck with a lot of the hard work playing soccer/football, so I've gotten back into cycling big time. To me, offensive play just doesn't come natural, I can pass, etc. but it's not in my nature, say the way, we Americans play basketball, we know to drive for the basket. I don't have a real attacking spirit in the game.

pete_mcc":2rl14nb1 said:
I'd second that, Canada is like America-lite, all the fun, space and food, but with less guns and gangs and you still get to see the Queen once in a while.

THE queen? Here in California we have thousands.

But most of them don't ride. Ran into a chap on the singletrack today, and I could tell from his accent he was not from around here. Turned out to be a Brit. The guy I was riding with is a German citizen. Somehow the furriners are arriving here in Cali.

Back