Ellis Briggs NOT gone into liquidation

Re:

Unfortunately it's reached the situation where I can see that happening. Was promised the chance to collect in person this week with the assurance that the frame would be in their shop by Wednesday; still nothing.

And...a phone call to EB yesterday revealed that they were waiting to get the frame back from the enamelling workshop and that there was a delay "due to it needing tapping out". Now, I was told back on Jan 25th that the frame was all ready for collection and duly paid for it in full, so have they let slip that the work was never actually done by January? May not have done themselves any favours there...

Re:

Unfortunately it's reached the situation where I can see that happening. Was promised the chance to collect in person this week with the assurance that the frame would be in their shop by Wednesday; still nothing.

And...a phone call to EB yesterday revealed that they were waiting to get the frame back from the enamelling workshop and that there was a delay "due to it needing tapping out". Now, I was told back on Jan 25th that the frame was all ready for collection and duly paid for it in full, so have they let slip that the work was never actually done by January? May not have done themselves any favours there...

Bit of a long shot since the post is from 2019 but how did this matter finally end? Were you the one on TrustPilot to take him to the small claims court?

(Mods, I tried PM'ing the OP but there was no option to do so, perhaps because I'm a newbie here?...)

Have a funny feeling he's repeating the trick.

An edit to the above: I've just notice the one to take him to court referred to Colnago forks (while you spoke about your frame) so it couldn't be the same person, apologies for the confusion.

Intrigued to her the outcome nontheless...

Thanks for that nonowt - I also read your post on CC, sorry to hear you went through similar. If it's any consolation, it's helping me build up a better picture for what looks likely to be a SCC action.

Just wish Mr. Gibson would respond to emails/voicemails with some sort of explanation. Working with him on the framebuilding course last year he seemed like such a lovely bloke.

Unfortunately all I've had is radio silence for the last few months.

Yeah, he seemed like a genuine fellow. But never answered emails and I always fobbed off by his side kick when I phoned. Before I finally picked mine up, I called twice during the week answered on the morning to remind them that i was coming and to confirm it was ready. When I got there it took 5 minutes to find and they hadn't refitted the head badge (or sourced and fitted the Ken Russell Tour of Britain decal they'd promised). I then had to hang about whilsthe fit the badge.

I just remembered that he's on here as gibbo1982

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, he seemed like a genuine fellow. But never answered emails and I always fobbed off by his side kick when I phoned. Before I finally picked mine up, I called twice during the week answered on the morning to remind them that i was coming and to confirm it was ready. When I got there it took 5 minutes to find and they hadn't refitted the head badge (or sourced and fitted the Ken Russell Tour of Britain decal they'd promised). I then had to hang about whilsthe fit the badge.

I just remembered that he's on here aa gibbo1982

Good luck!
Much obliged - I'll try to remember to post in here if/when it reaches a conclusion 👍

Until then, anyone reading this considering dealing with EB, take heed and proceed with utmost caution!

It's a shame when established businesses like this go to the wall, they generally end up owing a lot of creditors and if your frame had been sub-contracted out to one of them and Gibbons can't afford (or has more pressing creditors to pay) then it will probably never get done. My grandparents had a watch repair store that went to the wall around 2010, they had watches needing collection going back to 1985…! Unfortunately it's only when people hear of an impending closure that they are interested to get their stuff back.

Good luck anyway, but I wouldn't hold my breath over any monetary compensation.

It's a shame when established businesses like this go to the wall, they generally end up owing a lot of creditors and if your frame had been sub-contracted out to one of them and Gibbons can't afford (or has more pressing creditors to pay) then it will probably never get done. My grandparents had a watch repair store that went to the wall around 2010, they had watches needing collection going back to 1985…! Unfortunately it's only when people hear of an impending closure that they are interested to get their stuff back.

Good luck anyway, but I wouldn't hold my breath over any monetary compensation.
Well, this is the curious thing, isn't it? From what I can gather he's phoenixed the company once already, since when he's ostensibly had this habit of arbitrarily holding customers' bikes/frames (ghosting for months on end); had it been just the once, the creditor explanation would have been understandable.

However, it looks like it's happened 4 or 5 times (at least). Very bizarre indeed. Based on others' experiences, small claims court + debt collection looks like the way it's heading, unfortunately. Hopefully he contacts to resolve before then.

That's crazy about your grandparents' watch repair store, though 🤯Thanks for sharing!

Back