Ellis Briggs NOT gone into liquidation

Re:

Just popped in as I was local, it has a proper old school vibe to the place but it sounds like business is hard, there were however a number of frames on the wall awaiting refurbishment. The current owner (former shop employee) said the building and renovation side of the business was ticking over nicely but aside from servicing the shop was quiet, especially this time of year. There are a number of really interesting bikes and bits of paraphenalia in the shop that are worth seeing too, I hope they can make a go of it.

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":29d3qb4d said:
Just popped in as I was local, it has a proper old school vibe to the place but it sounds like business is hard, there were however a number of frames on the wall awaiting refurbishment. The current owner (former shop employee) said the building and renovation side of the business was ticking over nicely but aside from servicing the shop was quiet, especially this time of year. There are a number of really interesting bikes and bits of paraphenalia in the shop that are worth seeing too, I hope they can make a go of it.
I thought they got Bob Jackson to do all their frames and painting.

fossala":byqa3cju said:
Rod_Saetan":byqa3cju said:
I thought they got Bob Jackson to do all their frames and painting.
Of course they do, and many more small uk bike builders also utilise BJ's expertese, (I could name 3 that I know of) they just don't make a big thing about it. :)

Re:

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd recommend going straight to Bob Jackson.

I got my Ellis Briggs resprayed via EB and it was 6 months before I got it back - never heard from them once in all that time (I called repeatedly and got excuses). Being charitable, I would say they seem like nice guys but they really need someone else in charge.

nonowt":ue3el754 said:
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd recommend going straight to Bob Jackson.

I got my Ellis Briggs resprayed via EB and it was 6 months before I got it back - never heard from them once in all that time (I called repeatedly and got excuses). Being charitable, I would say they seem like nice guys but they really need someone else in charge.

I know what you mean, but even direct to BJ’s you will always be competing with thier commercial work, which at the end of the day is BJ’s lifeblood. I’ve had a frame take 7 months! But that was down to the chrome work being rejected by BJ, so out of their hands really.

Re:

Late to this thread but looking to pick people's brains about service quality and resolving it - EB have had my road frame since early December. Respray allegedly completed (and paid for by me on time, in full!) late January but still no frame; single colour plus decals effort so nothing fancy or time-consuming. Even going to the shop in person proved fruitless. Excuses offered since February:

- No Parcelforce collection due to weather
- Rejected by Parcelforce due to wrong box
- Held at Post Office for return to sender without EB being aware

This Monday afternoon they claimed the frame had been collected on a Parcelforce 48 Hour service; still no sign of it and the tracking number they e-mailed me doesn't appear to exist having pursued it with Parcelforce customer services.

Currently have an upcoming job interview so can do without unnecessary stress like this. Any suggestions? Any dissatisfied customers of theirs had to resort to legal action or similar?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

David

They are pushing their frame building courses on FaceBook. I wonder if you’d get their attention if you posted on there?
I’m not suggesting you get nasty, just some polite but slightly embarrassing questions might just move things along?

When did they say you'd get the frame back? When did you pay? Obviously some things might be out of their control, but no business should be giving you such lame excuses and messing you about like that, no matter how "historical" or "traditional" they are.

- The weather excuse might work for a day or two...
- the wrong box? they've probably sent many many frames the same way, so they can't say they don't know which boxes are right, and which are "wrong"...
- held at PO for return to sender? If they sent it with tracking, which they should have done, then they'd know this. Or you would, if they'd given you the tracking number...

If it was me, I'd be thinking about a strongly worded letter sent by recorded post, mentioning small claims court if you don't get what you paid for within a week or so. Don't let them mess you around - it's always a shame to lose an LBS, but if they're not up to the job then it's not your fault if they go under is it?

Re:

Thanks for replies. I was messaged to say that the frame was apparently ready during the last weekend in January; I paid a day or two after they sent that confirmation through with the assurance that it'd be with me the following week. That was about 6 weeks ago....

You can always try and message this fellow retrobiker who looks like they work for Ellis Briggs judging by the for sale post. Unless I am reading it wrong.
He may be able to ask and give you a straight answer.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=395789

Jamie

Latest posts

Back