Ebay Madness No. 2761

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russell":2gyu4zs9 said:
Ah my young apprentice... Cooks cranks, Tioga disc wheels, graftons... none of it works well, thats why its so expensive :)

actually.. none of it works half as well as say shimano xtr. indeed. unless broken, hard to work on stuff w/ no perceived ride improvements sounds like a load of fun.

utahdog2003":6doygmrm said:
This website is a great resource, and I love the pictures and stories that all seem to mirror many of my own, but Retrobike is also our biggest liability to finding bargains. I was quietly buying up gobs of stuff that was swank when I was living the shop life, and suddenly, BAM! Prices went through the roof! I mentioned on another site that my last purchase was almost twice what I thought it would be, and he mentioned the site and...yup. He was right!

My wife still makes fun of me for spending $47US on a Paul'sBlue Balls seat bolt! If she only knew!

We are all our own worst enemy!

Unfortunatly you may be right

Dhphat":uvb7g541 said:
utahdog2003":uvb7g541 said:
This website is a great resource, and I love the pictures and stories that all seem to mirror many of my own, but Retrobike is also our biggest liability to finding bargains. I was quietly buying up gobs of stuff that was swank when I was living the shop life, and suddenly, BAM! Prices went through the roof! I mentioned on another site that my last purchase was almost twice what I thought it would be, and he mentioned the site and...yup. He was right!

My wife still makes fun of me for spending $47US on a Paul'sBlue Balls seat bolt! If she only knew!

then why keep up w/the ebay lovefest? why not cut down the "outing" of stuff?
it may be funny now but the party ends quick.
if someone is lazy and cannot do a daily ebay search then let others w/more drive keep the treasure.

purplewicked":z2558vat said:
Dhphat":z2558vat said:
utahdog2003":z2558vat said:

if someone is lazy and cannot do a daily ebay search then let others w/more drive keep the treasure.

As has been mentioned numerous times 'outing' ebay auctions pays for this site. Without the commision retrobike earns on sending traffic to ebay it would close. Simple. It's a busy site with a lot of resources - hosting for this isn't cheap!

Anyhow I can't help but feel things balance out. I've had some nice deals in the classifieds here now we have a large market and user base. My perception is this has more than balanced out any extra I might have paid on ebay.

purplewicked":1v5iurqv said:

I'm not sure I'd call someone who doesn't spend hours on their PC looking for eBay treasure lazy as such. ;)

John":3aik6eb7 said:
purplewicked":3aik6eb7 said:
Dhphat":3aik6eb7 said:
utahdog2003":3aik6eb7 said:

As has been mentioned numerous times 'outing' ebay auctions pays for this site. Without the commision retrobike earns on sending traffic to ebay it would close. Simple. It's a busy site with a lot of resources - hosting for this isn't cheap!

Anyhow I can't help but feel things balance out. I've had some nice deals in the classifieds here now we have a large market and user base. My perception is this has more than balanced out any extra I might have paid on ebay.

really? didn't know that... i like you guys but you made a deal in hell: in order to survive you let others profit by inflating vintage parts on ebay.
ridinga vintage bike was a sign of excentricity and being alternative to consummerism ... till some time ago. it's becoming high market and a sign of wealth. it's killing what i see as the best side of vintage collecting...
not that you guys are tyhe sole responsible for that. it's way bigger than one website but .... think about it: it's turning vintage into snobbery.

andrewl":q2ophl39 said:
purplewicked":q2ophl39 said:

I'm not sure I'd call someone who doesn't spend hours on their PC looking for eBay treasure lazy as such. ;)

i would.
compared to what we had going on 4 yrs ago.. it's lame.
the next step will be shunning away from brands glorified in this... new "enthusiasts market" (i won't use the word lame). kleins and yo eddys;
those are already the signs of wealthy farts playing vintage on their free time.
sorry.... but that's how it is.

purplewicked":3tzmzgi2 said:
really? didn't know that... i like you guys but you made a deal in hell: in order to survive you let others profit by inflating vintage parts on ebay.
ridinga vintage bike was a sign of excentricity and being alternative to consummerism ... till some time ago. it's becoming high market and a sign of wealth. it's killing what i see as the best side of vintage collecting...
not that you guys are tyhe sole responsible for that. it's way bigger than one website but .... think about it: it's turning vintage into snobbery.

purplewicked":3tzmzgi2 said:
i would.
the next step will be shunning away from brands glorified in this... new "enthusiasts market" (i won't use the word lame). kleins and yo eddys;
those are already the signs of wealthy farts playing vintage on their free time.

What a load of rubbish. Basically your problem seems to be as follows -

1. You think retrobike (and maybe some other unamed sites?) is driving the prices of retro parts up? Is this 'the best side of vintage collecting' for you flavio? Cheap kit? As I recall things 2 1/2 years ago (and earlier still) before I set this site up the quality retro parts was already at a premium. The high prices some parts make on ebay.com probably has more to do with the weakness of the dollar as a currency. It's happy days for us in Europe at the moment buying from the US. Why not write a whiney note to the US Government complaining their fiscal policy has meant you can't get any bargains on ebay.com. Furthermore the traffic already on ebay far outstrips what we might be sending there.
If we've 'made a deal in hell' how about other cycling sites on the web? Maybe I'll setup poker site popups and charge to use the classifieds?

2. You're upset because it's not a nice little clique anymore. I'm sorry we've upset your apple cart flaviocolker. We're inclusive here, if you don't like it that's up to you. Look at the retro bmx and road scenes. If you thought somehow the retro mtb scene was going to stay 'underground' you were very naive.

3. Nobody I've met on any of the meets is wealthy. No one is an old fart poser. Everybody has a genuine interest in the retro scene - it's not a 'lifestyle choice' or marketing mans dream like other niches (do I need to elaborate). No big company is going to make a mint on retro.

cheers ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
John":gpct2t4o said:
purplewicked":gpct2t4o said:

purplewicked":gpct2t4o said:
i would.

What a load of rubbish. Basically your problem seems to be as follows -

1. You think retrobike (and maybe some other unamed sites?) is driving the prices of retro parts up? Is this 'the best side of vintage collecting' for you flavio? Cheap kit? As I recall things 2 1/2 years ago (and earlier still) before I set this site up the quality retro parts was already at a premium. The high prices some parts make on ebay.com probably has more to do with the weakness of the dollar as a currency. It's happy days for us in Europe at the moment buying from the US. Why not write a whiney note to the US Government complaining their fiscal policy has meant you can't get any bargains on ebay.com. Furthermore the traffic already on ebay far outstrips what we might be sending there.
If we've 'made a deal in hell' how about other cycling sites on the web? Maybe I'll setup poker site popups and charge to use the classifieds?

2. You're upset because it's not a nice little clique anymore. I'm sorry we've upset your apple cart flaviocolker. We're inclusive here, if you don't like it that's up to you. Look at the retro bmx and road scenes. If you thought somehow the retro mtb scene was going to stay 'underground' you were very naive.

3. Nobody I've met on any of the meets is wealthy. No one is an old fart poser. Everybody has a genuine interest in the retro scene - it's not a 'lifestyle choice' or marketing mans dream like other niches (do I need to elaborate). No big company is going to make a mint on retro.

cheers ;)

prices have raised substantially in the last 6mo. i wouldn't say it's retrobike who is behind this inflation... i am not that paranoid but you can't say you are not part of the problem when you have a forum built specifically to ou items and make it easy to find them.

yeah.. i like the cheap, light, strong part of vintage retro. is it wrong under your taste or ethics? not in mine.
ultra expensive vintage is lame in my book. it shouts "Fashion Victim".... i see a lot of people choosing vintage bikes in this mode. it's lame. they have no clue.
i also like the part of riding something that's highly effective but only a small clique knows about it. it feels good. when it comes to people, the smaller the number.. the better it feels. i don't like crowds thank you very much. i rather be on the side of loads of rubish.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back