Early Spot Brand Single Speed

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
this might be a brand a few haven't heard of before. not up to speed on the history myself.
started in vancouver in mid 90's is my understanding. i had the opportunity to purchase the
owner/founder of spot's bike way back when when he was moving to portland to try and
resurrect the off road toad brand, which was a flop. i said no thanks, what do i need a single
speed for. way too many hills here. and here we are 10+ years later. most of my buddies all have
or had a spot and i got the bug. this is the result, bought this frame a few months back.
beers and bikes again yesterday, superretrodave was back from holidays and joined vintageman
and myself. still needs a bit of adjustment before a ride i think. grips are place holders until
i find some i like. other than that i think the build is complete.

if anyone has spot history they can contribute please do. but only up to brand being sold and moving
to usa. after that we don't care any more. ha ha

it is rumored that chris dekerf may have made some or all of the early vancouver frames.
does anyone know anything about this? i'm hoping chris is at our swap meet in a couple
weeks and i can ask him about it.

spot 1.jpg spot 3.jpg spot 2.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a bit of Spot history, including confirmation that 2008 bikes were Canadian made, with a buyer buying one from Colorado Spot and learning it was old stock Canadian. Also claims (without confirmation) of Dekerf's connection to the brand.

"I heard from Chris Dekerf, he told me he built the prototypes for the original Spots, but the main run was built by Mike Truelove. I have an email out to him...fingers crossed"

Last edited:
That’s a stunning Spot!! I had a Colorado geared Longboard by them. But yours is way cooler

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 8
thanks matti. i did see that article way back when. good memory refresher.
i recalled chris was somewhere in the mix. but mike was the guy. vintageman
had one with MT decal on it. i will get a picture of it.

Three Spots in one pic. That can't happen often. When did Mike Truelove start building them? Later on perhaps

Back