Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

I love kili racers on my second bought my new project of ebay all I need now is some new front forks as this has suspension forks and I want it stock every thing else is stock so if any one that could help me with some front forks would be releaving me of this grey cloud of depression many thanks and Saracens were great till Halfords got there gruby mitts on um

Was it the one in Braunton that sold recently? If so that was a good deal.

The original saracen forks were good, sadly mine are attached to a frame and I need them but I will keep my eyes peeled.

Re:

Here are my 2.
'96 approx BackTrax
'91 approx TuffTrax or it could be an Eiger.

I built both of these starting with the frames.
I spent a while slowly acquiring parts and added them as and when.
The TuffTrax started as a rusty white frame without any decals. I have posted it previously.
I had it stripped and powder coated.
It has an unusual square section cross piece on the seat stays with the Saracen logo on it.
Neither bikes are very original but I built them to ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 526
Looking to date and get any other info on this old Saracen Eiger, I work for a charity and unless it's worth saving it will end up, taken as scrap with ragandbone transit flatback type or possibly shipped off to Africa. Anyway I heard it through the grapevine that here's the place to find some Saracen expertise and or opinions. It's 19" and very dirty but seems pretty solid otherwise. Seems quite original with loads of exage mountain gear on it.
Snog, Marry or Avoid?
:?

Attachments

• 2014-11-14 15.32.01.jpg
    2014-11-14 15.32.01.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 499
  • 2014-11-14 15.32.21.jpg
    2014-11-14 15.32.21.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 2014-11-14 15.33.37.jpg
    2014-11-14 15.33.37.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 498
  • 2014-11-14 15.33.50.jpg
    2014-11-14 15.33.50.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 499
  • 2014-11-14 15.34.00.jpg
    2014-11-14 15.34.00.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 499
Re:

Oooh. That's the earliest Eiger I've seen. Frame and stem is similar to my 1988 Saracen Blizzard and the Exage Trail components would also be consistent with this.
The Eiger was a model sold by Halfords in a deal with Saracen to provide 'exclusive' models for their shop floor. In reality the Eiger was generally just a Tufftrax in a different colour and different details. Still supplied and branded as a Saracen but only available on Halford's shop floors.

I'm not sure when the Halfords deal began though. There was certainly a Halfords Eiger in 1990.

Anway, the gooseneck stem, the chainstay mounted U-brake, decals and the Exage Trail components point to 1988.

It won't be worth a great deal but it's certainly worth cleaning up.

As a collector of Saracens I have to ask what your plans for it are?

Well really it still belongs to the charity, but if anyone's interested in it, I'm pretty certain they will be open to any reasonable donation. I half fancied it myself, but I'm a bit of a short arse and 19" is right at top end of comfortable for me. I'll have words Monday and see what they want to do/ what they call a reasonable donation. Normaly they put road worthy bikes on ebay but they don't really have a much of a clue. anything more than a flat tire is considered scrap and I've just seen some highly desirable scrap disappear down the road on the back of a transit van :p . If anyone' s interested you can contact me direct and I'll see what can be worked out.
P.S. It's in Beverley and if you want to check the charity out, it's "Jacob's Well Appeal".

Back