Early Rond Suspension Forks (pic heavy!)

Rumble

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
The clearout continues with yet another part that I've bought and fitted but never ridden and I'm unlikely to in future. These are what seem to be a pretty early set of Rond suspension forks, around 50-60mm travel I think. Steerer is a hair over 170mm, 1 1/8". Function is fine on the bounce test, nice and plush, feels like air/oil rather than elastomers no marks on the stantions, and don't appear to leaking anything. Nice machined canti hanger is present and correct. The mongoose stickers will come off without leaving any residue, crown race will also be removed.

In the spirit on honesty there are a couple of less good points, namely: the steerer, and while structurally fine, looks a bit rusty. I'm not 100% sure but it does look like it could be replaced with a press fit one. The canti studs were missing a hole for v-brakes so I've bodged one with a newer marzocchi part, it's black but wouldn't be too noticeable with brakes fitted. One bolt missing from the crown but a common size so no biggy. Also, they're clearly used and have a few straches/marks on the lowers which I've tried to show in the pics below.

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

From the bounce test these are some of the nicest short travel forks I've tried and they look really good fitted. Price is £50 posted.

I think that Bart Brentjens used this fork brand on his American Eagle if i don´t remember badly.

hi mate,

do you have the right fork-pump for it? cause rond uses a special one and there no suplier for an adapter and no other pump fits on these (I know, cause I had that problem ;))

I don't have a shock pump for them, but I also can't see any valves for a pump, are you sure it's the same fork? Maybe these are coil after all? In any case, if there's air in there it's not leaking as they still work exactly the same as when I got them a year or two ago.

I think you'll find these are the Elasto Pro forks.

I had a sey as my 1st ever sus forks in 1994 that i got from Leisure Lakes in Daventry. I used to strip them down about once a month & grease the elastomers with Pace grease.

I think you will find that the dials on the top of each leg unscrew ( although it was 18 years ago....gulp) revealing an elastomer stack.

They also were prone to cracks in the crown around the stantion bolts and i think Rond did a free replacement service, mine cracked & i had to send them back to Leisure Lakes for it to be replaced.

I loved them though and may be interested in these if you still have them at the end of the month (too much Xmas spending :roll: )

Gruff, if you're interested let me know. Don't mind hanging onto them for a few weeks if you are.

Otherwise... bump!

Latest posts

Back