DynaTech Seatpost Diameter [twin stay rear version]

Very tidy. Nice colour too.
I always liked the angular lugs Raleigh used early on. A friend had a road bike with polished lugs and, I think, purple and white paint.
Good luck with the Ti bike.
I must get round to finishing my only surviving retro bike. My M-Trax is currently in commuter guise and new-ish Orange forks thanks to a blind motorist.

Another one Chaser! You've got the Dyna-Tech bug bigtime.

Can't really help with the seatpost size, mine is an extremely unusual 26.0mm and a tight 26.0mm at that. A good bike shop will have seat post measurement tubes which they dip into the seat tube and get a precise measurement.

Keep us updated.

Hi,

I have a Raleigh SPD brochure here from 1993, and it says that an MT5 (MMC frame) is 25.8mm, and all others (including MT3 and MT4) are 26.4mm.

Apologies, I'm not sure what twin-stay and mono-stay mean, but I'm presuming it means each seat stay continues to the lug on the back of the seat tube (which is what my 1993 MT4 has), rather than going into a single tube before meeting the seat tube?

I used to use a USE suspension seatpost with 26.4mm shim, but the seat binder bolt kept snapping before sufficient tension was on the post to hold it in position. In the late 90s Dave Yates took off the lugs for the seat bolt and made a collar instead. He told me to get rid of the shimmed post and use a 26.4mm post instead; it hasn't given me any problems since.

Thanks guys....

26.6, 26.4??? I am confused now.

I was all set to buy a Roox S4 but not sure now.

I guess I will have to ask the shop to size the seat tube with verniers.

Yes Sinnettt, I do have the Dyna bug.... I want one as light as yours :D

Cheers,

Chaser.

Chaser, which diameter seat post did you settle-on in the end? I'm interested as I need to get one for my MT-5.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the proximity of the chainset to the (fatter) Ti chainstays on the MT-5, will bear-that-in-mind during the build.

All the best

MT4 uses a 26.6

MT5 is different again [I am pretty sure about that]

I think it is such an unusuall size you may need to fun a USE post with a shim.

Sinnett will be able to tell you for sure.

Can't wait to see it built :D

Cheers,

Chaser.

chaser":y52pwje7 said:
MT4 uses a 26.6

MT5 is different again [I am pretty sure about that]

I think it is such an unusuall size you may need to fun a USE post with a shim.

Sinnett will be able to tell you for sure.

Can't wait to see it built :D

Cheers,

Chaser.
As you know i'm using a USE post and shim, I bought a 26.0mm shim to go with the 25.0mm post, as my LBS measured the old post with verniers and that came out at just under 26.0mm. However the 26.0mm shim was too wide and so I wet and dried it to fit. It's now a lovely snug fit. In the next few days I'm going to try and fit a 25.8mm post to it as my mate is borrowing it for a ride and he's taller than me and requires a longer post. I'll let you kow how that goes.

I'm 90% sure I have a spare 25.0-26.0mm USE shim (BNIB) knocking about give me nudge if you want it and it's yours for Dyna-Karma if I can find it.

my 1993/4 MT5 I recently sold used to have a 26.0 Kalloy post installed with no problems - a perfect fit :)

richardf":3iyo1g4s said:
my 1993/4 MT5 I recently sold used to have a 26.0 Kalloy post installed with no problems - a perfect fit :)
Agreed 26.0mm is the correct size. My 25.8mm post was a rattle fit.

Back