Dura Ace 7400/3 for my new vintage CF frame

coriordan

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I have just picked up an old Giant Cadex carbon fibre frame with alu lugs (collecting it on Saturday) and looking to restore it.

I'm not sure whether to rebuild it back up as a Fixed or run vintage dura-ace components through it (all ideas/recommendations welcome)

a friend of mine has LOADS of old Dura-Ace parts, in various states of condition (mostly VERY good, used) and I was looking at building it up running 16 speed.

Some of the parts are 7400, some are 7403. My thoughts were that 7403 would be triple, 7400 - double - but what about brake calipers? What is the difference there?

Any/all thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

Fantastic deal! I sold a frame only for double that....

The frame has vertical dropouts so fixed conversion will mean a magic gear which can be problematic.

So I'd go for geared, personally I'm a great lover of DA stuff so commend you on the choice. However you may want to watch the rear spacing on the dropouts I've got a feeling that it will be 126mm rather than 130mm for 8 speed up. To combat this you can fit an 8, 9, or 10 speed set up and just deduct the right amount of cogs so it fits on the 126mm hubs and set up the shifters accordingly, if that makes sense.

I would not recommend spreading the dropouts to accommodate a wider hub i.e 126mm - 130mm.

tel - thank god for that - was worried it had been a blunder - picking it up on Sat and taking it for a full service to see what condition its in and inspect the frame for any impending failure.

Apparently you can get "off center" bottom brackets, so you can rotate it to get the ideal tension if running SS. (if that makes sense)

Thanks for the pointers on getting it setup all ok. I have an old ultegra double.
Just wondering - if I run the rear as per your advice (knock some chainrings off) what happens if I overshift? does the rear derailleur have limiter screws, or will I just get 2 "blank clicks".

Eccentric hub is an Eno by White Industries. Quite dear but worth it I guess if that is your desire. Again need to check the spacing I'm not sure what widths they come in.

Yes knocking off a couple of cogs and adjusting the limit screws will prevent overshifting.

No they won't fit your bb shell. I don't know of any that will, although that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Nice one - will get some high def pics up when I pick it up and people can gawp/scoff accordingly!

Thanks for your help tel

its all ready for you to collect mate, , i was running single speed with an eno eccentric hub and it worked a treat,
IMAG0490-1.jpg

Back