Dropper posts are they worth it.

Even the old Hite-Rite was a fabulous and indispensable tool when it first came out, bitd, for navigating truly rough terrain with confidence and aplomb; I can well imagine how slick the new, pneumatic ones must be.

Re:

What's old is now new. Remote, thumbshifter operated dropper post circa 1990:

4da06adcba7159a6c8fc1007ee3cd030_zps2d070ac7.jpg

Not as smooth as these modern ones, especially in the mud, but still a great idea well executed at the time!

Re:

Ok, so I've seen quite a few variants, but can't seem to make out which ones to avoid and which ones to consider - could we have anyone with a seat post give their 'out' of ten' on their dropper (state the make/model) and rate 1=poor to 10=amazeballs on:

Price
quality of build
Serviceability
Range of drop
Testicle punching ability
Also any mods you've made or any bodges needed to get it to work betterer...
:)

Re:

Thomson Elite:

Price- 8. Got mine for a great price but stock they're par for the course for the top ones.

Quality of build- 9. Superbly built, usual Thomson quality. Loses a point as the lever isn't as good as some.

Serviceability- 8 Not needed to yet but the cable was easy to initially fit and it came with a spare.

Range of drop. 8. Not the longest but plenty for me. Infinite adjust is great.

Testicle punching ability. 0. Very controlled so no marks for bollock smashing.

Re:

RS Reverb.

Price. 9 or 5. Original external ones can be had cheap but the new stealth version are top dollar.

Quality of build. 6. Not as nice as the Thomson but still a decent bit of kit.

Serviceability. 4. Oil is a pain. just use a cable! :facepalm:

Range of drop. 10. Got to be top marks as you can get them in loads of lengths and they have infinite adjustment.

Testicle punching ability. 0. Like the Thomson, it wont give the perverts any kinky thrills.

Re:

Specialized Command.

Price. 7. Got mine second hand but full RRP isn't bad for a premium post.

Quality of build. 7. Decent, solid, typical Specialized.

Serviceability. 7. As above.

Range of drop. 4. Quite short and only three positions.

Testicle punching ability. 7. It'll give you a knacker smacker if you're not careful!

Re: Re:

Giant SL Switch. 7/10 (New ones I'd give 8/10 as they've improved the saddle clamp.

I had it on my Anthem originally and it is brilliant. It's really well made, seems to last the distance ns has the additional bonus of being able to use both external & stealth cabling.

Only reason I haven't given it 10/10 is the fact it is only available in 30.9

Price: 9/10 You can get them for as little as £125 currently if you shop around.
quality of build: 9/10 Excellent
Serviceability: 8/10 Easy
Range of drop: 8/10 Dependant on length between 100mm-150mm
Testicle punching ability: 1/10 Low

Also any mods you've made or any bodges needed to get it to work betterer...

Only mod I've made it to swap the remote lever for a Wolf Tooth one. And this is only because they're much better ergonomically than the standard ones (but that's not just relevant to the Giant post- it's the same for most).

Oh, and Wolf Tooth kit is super sexy too which helps.

Re:

I'm in the market for a new one ATM. I would go Thomson again no worries but being a tart I want a black one to match the forks/shock. :oops:

Quite fancy the new Fox post but hanging on to see the Shimano one as I like the idea of the dropper lever matching the gear shifter. :oops: :LOL:

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3olx4kh2 said:
as I like the idea of the dropper lever matching the gear shifter. :oops: :LOL:

Yup me too- it's a disease.

Take a look at the Wolf Tooth ReMote. It is very similar to a gear shifter in shape & position and can be had in i-spec.

It's about as close as you'll get to 'matching' currently.

Back