Dropper posts are they worth it.

dyson":1ulrrxki said:
Not sure what to make of a weight limit of 90kg on a dropper posts as most bikes with one will see hard use and it is quite restrictive.

I wondered about that but really, if it's getting hard, the post should be down and it'll be fine! :LOL:

frankie-howerd-comedian-sucked-in-cheeks.jpg

The expression of every dropper user after a thwack in the nads...

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":24dav80p said:
Thomson's are ace :cool:

Hmm, mine not so much.

I've owned it for about a year but had the use of it for considerably less as it's been back to i-ride for a service inc new bushings, complete replacement and finally, service/replacement of the cartridge.

All performed under warranty but they've held onto it for over a month each time it's been serviced, the play that resulted in the service and bushings returned within 5 hours of riding and I had to wait several months for stock to come in when it was replaced.

The last time it went back I had to get on to Thomson themselves in the US to push the repair along as it was taking so long.

Worth remembering that while the warranty cover is good, you're looking at almost a tenner everytime you send it in as it has to go special delivery due to the value.

If I had the choice now I'd buy a cheapo far east post that I could service myself and be more than £250 better off.

Sorry to hear that :( ridiculous that no one seems capable of getting them right, even for absolutely crazy money - it's such a simple thing!

mechanical_vandal":1gr0bquy said:
If I had the choice now I'd buy a cheapo far east post that I could service myself and be more than £250 better off.

Just gone down this route, basically a disposable post for only slightly more than the cost of a service. Seems to be a KS Lev without the branding...

Will report back!

elPedro666":2m9174ku said:
Sorry to hear that :( ridiculous that no one seems capable of getting them right, even for absolutely crazy money - it's such a simple thing!
I'd point to the Specialized Command Post here - mechanical collet locking mechanism paired to a simple air spring. Ok, so it's not infinitely adjustable, but it can be stripped, cleaned and re-greased in ten minutes. I did a full service on mine this week, replacing all the seals and bushings and that only takes an hour. Shame they don't do one in 27.2mm really (well they do, but it's carbon and only has 50mm drop).

Back