Drop bar add ons for flats....what do you think of these ?

Blimey, somebody pooped on your bicycling picnic

These two did a good job on their 'fragile' road bikes

No no, he's completely correct, road bikes are fragile, they can't take any abuse and should definitely be avoided at all costs. Skinny low bars, teeny tiny narrow saddles, twitchy steering and tyres so narrow you'd be fine parking it in the ass crack of a Skinny wrench. Definitely avoid it.

1 bike.

No, for years I rode drops but never used the drop part because they were too low, dont like or need that aero position, it doesnt work me even though many are ok with it, just the tops and the hoods, I now ride 50% on the drops, 50% on the hoods BUT when I ride the Dartmoor Classic I will likely go for a more conventional road bike position as I will be looking for as fast as possible, but I hate road bikes, impractical, uncomfortable, expensive and fragile, just not my kind of bike, I will use one for the classic, but after that I will likely sell it

So the bike which you have been telling us how great it is , how fast , how comfy , how it’s ahead of its time …. Isn’t going to be used?

Pfffft I’ve lost interest now if it’s on a normal bike.

So the bike which you have been telling us how great it is , how fast , how comfy , how it’s ahead of its time …. Isn’t going to be used?

Pfffft I’ve lost interest now if it’s on a normal bike.
Actually I have a Raleigh Pioneer Venture (alloy) that is definately faster, with flat bars and bar ends, so I will likely use that, it will be fine, over that distance on entirely Tarmac, then clearly my wonderbike (amazing as it is) is not the best choice :D

Last edited:
Look I think people misunderstand me, of course I fully appreciate that a full on road bike is significantly faster for the same input, but I don't like them, very impractical, skinny 700x 23 tyres are much much faster than my 700 x 35 or 38 c, I know that, a more aero drop position is better for maximising aerodynamics, I know that and when I ride the classic I would be mad not to use a fasrer bike but that will be the only time I use the stupid thing, I have no other use for a bike with skinny tyres no carrier, no mudguards, nowhere to carry anything, they have their place but I can train fine on a heavy bike, it works, I have done it before, plus road bikes have zero use on anything other than tarmac, always hated them

Back