dream bikes...

cybertrophic

Dirt Disciple
Ok, I am slowly starting to get back into mountain biking - injuries, work, family and location had all conspired against me until now - so I have dusted off my trusty Giant XTC NRS from around 2001 and am hitting the local trails, which is fun - along with snowboarding at the local snowdome, I am actually getting fit after a few years of being stuck in IT jobs.

However, it's rekindled my interest in older machines that I yearned for as a youngster (not to mention the fact that I am eagerly awating the promised Mint Sauce anthology book), but whilst there are plentiful Kona Cinder Cones out there, a few that really rocked my boat seem to have been almost mythical in their scarcity, namely:

The Pace RC200 - not as rare as some and a bike I'd love to own and build up with RC35s and period parts (but no purple anodised skewers) for regular nostalgia trips - I'm hoping that a sale on ebay, etc, ties up with me having some spare cash as the two are out of sync at the moment...

Kona Hei Hei - again, not so rare, but I do like a nice bit of titanium...

There are two that I really, reeeeally wanted as a teenager though, that I have never seen again, though:

1) Manitou built an aluminium frame with square tube rear triangle and offset stays that had their first suspension fork (1" of elastomer-damped goodness!) and it was available as a frame+fork combo. I have *never* seen one of these in the flesh, or even for sale. It looked awesome and evidently rode brilliantly, too - I'd kill for one of these in the garage!

2) MBUK did a review of the Campagnolo Centaur MTB groupset (Campangolo's last non-road groupset, I believe) and it was fitted to a white and purple custom frame by, I believe, Swallow cycles. The review was shot on volcanic areas of fuertaventura and that bike was just beautiful - Reynolds 753 or 853, and just right from every angle - I'd love a replica of that frame, but I can't even find the framemaker...

If anyone knows where to find these, please let me know! I am thinking I might have to break the bank, but it'd be worth it!

Speak nicely to pete_mcc and he might let you have a play with his Manitou ;)

y0ynrn.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31739

If you \re refering to the later Manitou FS's and hardtails, they all broke...every single one of them...the ones that do appear to be unbroken are infact broken...they just dont know it yet.

JeRkY":2uuq1ql6 said:
If you \re refering to the later Manitou FS's and hardtails, they all broke...every single one of them...the ones that do appear to be unbroken are infact broken...they just dont know it yet.

It was definitely a hard-tail - had 1" square chainstays I believe - I guess if they all snapped, then that explains why there aren't any around!

Still would love that Swallow, though - anyone got a scan of the review, by the way?

cybertrophic":24p1b4g5 said:
It was definitely a hard-tail - had 1" square chainstays I believe - I guess if they all snapped, then that explains why there aren't any around!

mani3lq_190.jpg

Yup, I had a 1994 Manitou hard tail.... it was cracked in soooo many places.

cybertrophic":35mx1ns0 said:
Still would love that Swallow, though - anyone got a scan of the review, by the way?

I remember that and Nayfinesse was talking about that very article a while back. I will dig through my old magazines one day and find it. Was a lovely looking thing :cool:

doctor-bond":3fga8q1b said:
Been looking for a Swallow Griffon for years now. Building one is probably the only sure way to get on one.

Details and scans of the article in these links.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80861&highlight=swallow

Yep it's still a beautiful as I remember - that's been my dream rigid bike for about twenty years!

In fact, add a set of Pace RC35s and it's my dream hard-tail, too!

Just needs a set of Onza Porcumpine Whites to finish off that pimped look...

Back