Does anyone have info on my retro SUNN bicycle frame? Year would help , said to be one of the first softails ever made.

RisenSUNN6791

Retro Newbie
Hi im Jesse from California ,US and am trying to get any information on this rare SUNN frame that one bike enthusiast said to me is one of the first softail MTBs made! Now i dont know if he was pulling my leg or what but im anxious to get some intel. I am trying to build it back up to its original design but dont know where to start. I would be in your debt if anyone can get me started. Hope to hear from you and Thank you ahead of time! JD from Cali
PS paint and decals were done by me not original just fyi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 40
It's from 1998. I think it was the first year that Sunn offered soft tails but I don't know about other brands. Sunn offered the flex soft tail option on several of their steel frames and the titanium Exact. I built up my hard tail version to near catalogue spec, you can see it here:
98 Sunn Exact Columbus

It's from 1998. I think it was the first year that Sunn offered soft tails but I don't know about other brands. Sunn offered the flex soft tail option on several of their steel frames and the titanium Exact. I built up my hard tail version to near catalogue spec, you can see it here:
98 Sunn Exact Columbus
Thank you so much now at least i have something to start from. Much appreciated and hope mine turns out as good as yours! Nice bike!

Hi,

Yes that's an early Sunn Exact Flex, '97 model I think.
They changed to a welded seatstay design the year after, more a kin with the Moots design.

The Moots softail came before this frame as did some of the licenced Moots rear ends on the likes of De-Kerf, Ritchey etc.. but all around the mid 90 to late 90's.
The design slipped away just a few years later, although I believe Moots still use the YBB design in their gravel bikes.
A few other pivotless designs emerged around the 2000's, although they have always been a niche product for perverts like myself!
I've had several softail bikes, and they ride beautifully.

That's a nice frame, that would benefit from original decals.

Cheers

al.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes that's an early Sunn Exact Flex, '97 model I think.
They changed to a welded seatstay design the year after, more a kin with the Moots design.

The Moots softail came before this frame as did some of the licenced Moots rear ends on the likes of De-Kerf, Ritchey etc.. but all around the mid 90 to late 90's.
The design slipped away just a few years later, although I believe Moots still use the YBB design in their gravel bikes.
A few other pivotless designs emerged around the 2000's, although they have always been a niche product for perverts like myself!
I've had several softail bikes, and they ride beautifully.

That's a nice frame, that would benefit from original decals.

Cheers

al.
Thank you for your thoughts and info im glad to see some people appreciate the old stuff. And i will get some original decals if i can get my hands on em. I cant wait to get started on the build. Have a great day!

Hey JD -- looking forward to seeing the final build -- hope you're going to post it up here.
Hello thanks for the post and yeah i am anxious to get started on it now since i got a bit of background on it. I will definitely post pics when its done. Appreciate the enthusiasm have a good one!

Back