DIY Bike hanger from old bits.

Boscarn

rBotM Winner
I needed a rest from all the rust and grim in my shed, I also need a bike hanger, so off we go.
This is an adaptation of other builds that can be found by searching the net.
I had some bars that are too badly scored and deemed useless, an old Brooks saddle that has seen better days and an old MTB stem. Also, some 6mm x 40mm bolts obtained. The ends of the bars have been cut, removing 3" to reduced the hook shape to enable easy mounting of the bike.

I found a suitable piece of wood that will act as a wall plate.

First, drill a couple of 6mm holes in the stem, see pic and a couple of holes in the wall plate the same distance apart, these will be used to mount the stem to the plate. I also drilled 3 mounting holes in the wall plate to fix the hanger to a wall using suitably long screws (21/2” x 10).

Fix the stem to the plate, and thread the bars through, the brooks saddle is also threaded on, but any saddle could be used and cable tied on if there is not enough gap.

The cover the bars in some tape, mount on the wall and hey presto!

Attachments

• P1000948.JPG
    P1000948.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000951.JPG
    P1000951.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000949.JPG
    P1000949.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000950.JPG
    P1000950.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000954.JPG
    P1000954.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000955.JPG
    P1000955.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 801
  • P1000956.JPG
    P1000956.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 801
Re:

The best bike hanger I've ever seen... the bike's a bit tasty too...

al.

Re:

Very nice. I've seen these done with just the stem and bars, but the addition of the saddle is a great idea.
Definitely need to make one of these.

Re:

Now THAT is cool ! :cool:

One to remember when I run out of floor space, thanks ;)

Mike

Re:

Nice job..I like the saddle too!!!
I opted for a "semi functioning" front end look!!

Cary

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 721
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 721
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 721
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 721
Re: Re:

Keewee":nqs03frj said:

Cary

Very stylish - a hanger to match the bike. How do you keep the bike from falling off it though?

Mark.

Boscarn":2bamlrsd said:
I needed a rest from all the rust and grim in my shed, I also need a bike hanger, so off we go.
This is an adaptation of other builds that can be found by searching the net.
I had some bars that are too badly scored and deemed useless, an old Brooks saddle that has seen better days and an old MTB stem. Also, some 6mm x 40mm bolts obtained. The ends of the bars have been cut, removing 3" to reduced the hook shape to enable easy mounting of the bike.

I like this a lot. I was thinking of doing the same thing with some 'bars that are too dangerous to ride. Does the saddle have a functional as well as aesthetic purpose?

Mark.

daccordimark":1rk44aa4 said:
Keewee":1rk44aa4 said:

Cary

Very stylish - a hanger to match the bike. How do you keep the bike from falling off it though?

Mark.

It doesn't move, you have to lift it about 7 inches to get it off. Certainly won't fall off! It's hung above our stairs for the last two years with no issues.

Keewee":4fcsa0y1 said:
daccordimark":4fcsa0y1 said:
Keewee":4fcsa0y1 said:

Cary

Mark.

It doesn't move, you have to lift it about 7 inches to get it off. Certainly won't fall off! It's hung above our stairs for the last two years with no issues.

Sorry I was being cheeky, I should have put one of these ;) after my comments because your photos are upside down.

Mark.

daccordimark said:
Keewee said:
daccordimark said:
Keewee said:

Cary

Mark.

Sorry I was being cheeky, I should have put one of these ;) after my comments because your photos are upside down.

Mark.

Fair shout......didn't realise they were upside down, they aren't on my phone???

Latest posts

Back