Disk Tensión Tioga & Sugino

How did you tension the kevlar?😕
Some of the sections look a bit... floppy...
In the front Sugino squeeze three times. The rim was quite bent. I did an approach first, rolled with it, tightened again, rolled with it again, and tightened again before sending.

Last edited:
firstly good work. I knew Tomac had 1 front disk drive, I didnt know Herbold had the other, but it makes perfect sence. i've also been following on instagram.

please can you elaborate on how you get the sheeting to adhere to the kevlar
Tomac's sugino, I think, was also somewhat modified at some point. Tadashi commented on a photo on IG, saying that it wasn't the same. Anyway, it looks great too.

soon The pros closet or The Radavist will tell the story of this wheel

The Kevlar rope never stays stuck to the sheets, the ropes move. I use 3M clear spray glue. And once everything is compressed, I use a heat gun and a small roller. all at the same time for approximately 15 minutes. Sheet inside bag, vacuum cleaner on, heat gun and roller. Then I leave it inside the bag for a day.

IMG_2299.jpeg

Last edited:
Amazing work, thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'm just really ignorant, but i didn't realise the rim attached *after* the stringing etc - is it the inner plastic you mentioned that holds the stringing in place? And then do you adjust / increase tension on the stringing as well as with the spoke attachments to the rim?

Amazing work, thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'm just really ignorant, but i didn't realise the rim attached *after* the stringing etc - is it the inner plastic you mentioned that holds the stringing in place? And then do you adjust / increase tension on the stringing as well as with the spoke attachments to the rim?
I use the edge to connect everything. Centered axle and clamped rim. I place the inner sheet, do the spoke braiding and place the top sheet. Then I tighten it a little, and put it in the vacuum bag along with the Edge ((so that the sheet does not bend and force the edge)
The longest process is to leave all the nipples the same size, and the core completely centered with the rim.

I started cleaning a disc drive up a few years ago. The glue in between both sheets had completed failed, so I set about cleaning the dried glue off to see if I could bond the sheets back together. Cleaned up one side but that’s as far as I got :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_6923.jpeg
    IMG_6923.jpeg
    616.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7276.jpeg
    IMG_7276.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7277.jpeg
    IMG_7277.jpeg
    606.3 KB · Views: 23
Top level skills and effort once again - inspirational (and I don't say that lightly)!

So, in theory, with some machined parts you're able to create brand new tension discs?

Top level skills and effort once again - inspirational (and I don't say that lightly)!

So, in theory, with some machined parts you're able to create brand new tension discs?
By proxy you can, but in my opinion it is not worth it. Also the adapters that go to the center are riveted, it would not be the same. and you would have to make the nipples as well and the rim screws. It would no longer be a Tioga Disk.

One more question, do the plastic/mesh discs provide any structural or durability function or are they primarily a build requirement?

I started cleaning a disc drive up a few years ago. The glue in between both sheets had completed failed, so I set about cleaning the dried glue off to see if I could bond the sheets back together. Cleaned up one side but that’s as far as I got :LOL:
Old, dried glue shines again with heat. I also did the same a long time ago, great job and it is impossible to delete everything. It warms up, but it is important that you use Rim. It is easier to work with. I have several NOS with the same problem and when I can I will try that heat idea with one of them.

Last edited:
One more question, do the plastic/mesh discs provide any structural or durability function or are they primarily a build requirement?
I guess that was the main idea. But I think that mesh discs have less useful life, due to the friction of the rope with the aluminum mesh (Sugino) or the nylon mesh (Tioga). For me the best is the 32H Pro. Its plastics are thicker, and it also has more meters of Kevlar rope. Also. It is true that the sound when riding a bike is better with a mesh than without a mesh.

The contact of the three components, plastic, rope and mesh, produces more drum sound and the acoustic resonance is greater.

Last edited:
Back