Disconnecting a gas cooker - advice needed .....

Cheers for the advice.

Spoke to the chap who serviced our boiler. He seemed happy enough to do it so will probably take him up on the offer.

Cheers for the link ER. :shock:

I took the gas hob out at our new house the other day, it was simple enough to do....

Then told the builder (who's a mate of mine btw!) and got a bollocking for it!!!

Leave it to the pros I say!!

Piperdave":2lq5n0gm said:
1) locate cut off valve, usually next to the gas meter :idea:

2) light 1 ring on the cooker... :?

3) turn off cut off valve... :eek:

4) wait for ring to go out....this means there is no gas left in pipe, turn ring off now so you don't forget it was on! :roll:

5) disconect cooker :cool:

After reconnecting, leak check connection, (a solution of washing liquid and water, heavy on the washing up liquid though, brushed onto and all around the connection and watch for bubbles blowing up).

Bubbles blowing up indicates a leak, so turn off the gas and get in a pro, but at least you can save face by saying you thought you had a leak and so traced it to the connection.

I am handy with the DIY, but some things I won't touch through lack of knowledge on the subject as safety is my over riding concern when doing anything, and with that, if not my safety, others.

I also am good at troubleshooting and when I see pipework, I examine what it is made from and there explore the potentials for the shit happens scenario, pipes cracking or connections failing to tighten. With gas, the pipes in older properties are lead, lead that is soft and has maybe been there a long time, so I am wary and will even pay for a pro rather than do the job myself, purely because a gas fitter will have the parts to repair should the worst happen the pipe or connection cracks.

those bayonet fittings should self seal upon disconection
it is essentially just a plug
however if you fit a new hob/range you'll find the gas fitter will tell you that
those fittings are now illegal , fine if in and working but not for new installs

Should being the operative word, I err on the side of should means if you are lucky, which 99% of the time you are, but that minor percent of shit happens for whatever reason.

Back