Disconnecting a gas cooker - advice needed .....

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sadly we need a new washing machine (see other thread somewhere) but due to the layout of our kitchen we need to remove the gas cooker to get the washing machine in and out.

I know, I know silly design but we didn't design it :x

I have pulled out the cooker and for all intents and purposes the connection looks like a bayonet fitting - well from looking on google it does.

Is it as straightforward as a quick twist and pull the reattach or is there more to it than that.

I am not loathed to get someone out but as it will need to be disconnected for about an hour or so I don't want the expense of having to have some one either wait around or come back later :?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Any Gas Safe folk in Bury St Edmunds that could lend a hand ........ :D

They are a bayonet type fitting (well, every one I've experienced in the last few years has been - big chunky brass mofo's)

I would generaly advise against taking unqualified advice from Joe Blogs on the net that can have serious safety implications.

That said... you can do it yourself. As you say the bayonet fitting is push and twist like a light bulb. You will smell some gas as the remainder in the pipe escapes. The valve should self seal. It would be a good idea to know where the supply stop valve is in case it doesn't.

1) locate cut off valve, usually next to the gas meter :idea:

2) light 1 ring on the cooker... :?

3) turn off cut off valve... :eek:

4) wait for ring to go out....this means there is no gas left in pipe, turn ring off now so you don't forget it was on! :roll:

5) disconect cooker :cool:

I take it then that the advice is not to cut through the rubbery part with a blowtorch?

I love cooking on Gas, but I hate the latent energy sitting in the pipes.

Last time I did this myself it was indeed very simple, although I did not do the burning off bit.

As I always say when it comes to doing anything hazardous that should be left in the hands of a professional if you are not 100% sure, "If in doubt, get them out!"

:)

highlandsflyer":soq1jmjj said:
As I always say when it comes to doing anything hazardous that should be left in the hands of a professional if you are not 100% sure, "If in doubt, get them out!"

:)

At the risk of rb being held liable for any advice given on this thread (were you to blow up the kitchen for example) I'd definitely go with highlandflyer's advice.

I don't know whether you saw this...it happened last week as a result of a gas explosion!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11674579

article-1288702231828-0BE02562000005DC-826140_636x357.jpg

John":2qolx4ng said:
At the risk of rb being held liable for any advice given on this thread (were you to blow up the kitchen for example) I'd definitely go with highlandflyer's advice.

I understand your position in relation to the liability of the forum John.

Just to clarify the legal position for future reference:-

The initial fitting or permanent repositioning of a domestic gas cooker is deemed to be "gas work" and must be done by a registered Gas Safe engineer.

Subsequent disconnection/reconnection at the same location is not deemed to be Gas Work and can be carried out by a non registered person.

If the person is being paid to do the disconnection/reconnection, they must be registered.

It should not be beyond the ability of anyone who can change a plug. Although I realise that there is a growing amount of people out there who couldn't be trusted to do that. Makes you wonder how we are expected to survive on the roads if we are no longer capable of doing such simple tasks. Keeps the corporate profits rolling in though at £70 per 2min job!

sgw":1qcwnnj7 said:
John":1qcwnnj7 said:

I was half joking about that. Still a serious point that if one is not confident it's best to leave gas work to a professional. I'm reasonably 'handy' in a DIY (not Ultimate Fighting) sense and I would think twice before undertaking anything involving gas.

John":jfli0bc8 said:
sgw":jfli0bc8 said:
John":jfli0bc8 said:

I was half joking about that. Still a serious point that if one is not confident it's best to leave gas work to a professional. I'm reasonably 'handy' in a DIY (not Ultimate Fighting) sense and I would think twice before undertaking anything involving gas.
Sorry, I just can't cut through all the sensible-ness, here.

I just keep picturing cartoon characters when they've been blown up, all blackened and charred, missing most of their hair, smoke rising from their heads, looking rather non-plussed.

Normal service will be resumed shortly, move along, there's nothing to see here. The train arriving on platform 4 for Carlisle has been delayed by 27 days due to house remains on the line.

Back