Dirt Shark

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Saw this on ebay, liked it, put in a bid and surprisingly got it.

Its from the late 80s probably 88 ish.

Fillet brazed Tange Prestige, the craftsman ship really very good - nice touches being the detail and style of the drop outs, the internal cable routing on the frame and stem.

The colours are still very bright - the pink and white really stand out - not to everyones taste I'm sure but it is deifferent and very well done.

Its going to get built up with a standard 7 speed XTII group set, thumbies and four finger levers/non low pro cantis. I may go with the black components such as cranks, hubs and cantis but I'm not sure - these are a couple of years later than the frame but may look better with the colours :?

First thing I need is a nice 30.2mm seatpost - I could shim a 27.2 but the shim would ruin the detail around the seat clamp IMO - the original was an IRD if anyone has one going spare ;)

Any thoughts/suggestions always appreciated, pics below:

dsc0498on.jpg

dsc0499dz.jpg

dsc0500pl.jpg

dsc0502r.jpg

dsc0501z.jpg

dsc0503dp.jpg

dsc0504ax.jpg

dsc0505f.jpg

Almost forgot - it came with a colour matched campag pump!

Beautiful!

These are such underrated bikes, I would actually take one over a Grove, maybe even a Ritchey! Do you mind me asking what you paid?

Does it have the painter's name on it - if it was Shades he's active over on MTBR VRC and would probably enjoy seeing the frame again.

mechagouki":1jk4brff said:
Beautiful!

These are such underrated bikes, I would actually take one over a Grove, maybe even a Ritchey! Do you mind me asking what you paid?

Does it have the painter's name on it - if it was Shades he's active over on MTBR VRC and would probably enjoy seeing the frame again.

Not at all - I paid just under £300 plus shipping, which I though was a good price considering the quality. It was actually onesharkes lovely Groves' that got me looking for something with the custom painted frame/fork/stem/bar combo.

This is from the advert - I have been mailing the seller, who was the original owner, a fair bit recently and he seems like a really nice guy:

'from the late 80’s, built by John at his one-man shop in Pacoima, California before he moved to Oregon.
The paint job is an original and custom creation by John himself, I think he called it “tears” because the edges of the colors look like they’re torn paper. '

If you know anyone who could give me some more info then that would be great.

Superb

A great catch mate :cool:

One shark i wouldnt mind landing!

Looks to be equally has nice has the other top frame buiders.

XT-2 will look the bollocks on that.

nevadasmith":2ng1hb10 said:
Not at all - I paid just under £300 plus shipping, which I though was a good price considering the quality. It was actually onesharkes lovely Groves' that got me looking for something with the custom painted frame/fork/stem/bar combo.

This is from the advert - I have been mailing the seller, who was the original owner, a fair bit recently and he seems like a really nice guy:

'from the late 80’s, built by John at his one-man shop in Pacoima, California before he moved to Oregon.
The paint job is an original and custom creation by John himself, I think he called it “tears” because the edges of the colors look like they’re torn paper. '

If you know anyone who could give me some more info then that would be great.

I think you got a stellar deal! There is an MTBR member, username "girlonbike" who is a Land Shark owner and enthusiast, probably worth a PM - she's very friendly.

...that's a stellar frame. I am afraid I drove up your final cost a bit---I wanted that one, but felt like someone else wanted it a bit more ;)

Super super cool though. I look forward to the build!

Latest posts

Back