Difference between 16" and 18" (GT)

Nem

Dirt Disciple
I've got a 1997 GT Zaskar which is a 16" and fit me perfectly. It's nice and light and chuckable so have no problems with it at all.

Now I keep having naughty thoughts about an LTS, always wanted one from even when I bought the Zaskar but never got round to it. I've been looking for a month or two now but only seem to be seeing 18" LTS frames or bigger.

I'm looking at the LTS 1000 range, so the slightly newer ones with the curved lower seat tube, (although that possibly puts it out of 'retro chat', hmmm) but anyway, question is really how much difference is an 18" frame over a 16" size?

I unfortunately missed a cracking on over Christmas which went for £98 which was a 16" :( I've also seen the one AJ (I think) sold late last year, would have snapped that up seeing as it was mint and I'm not more than 20 minutes away from him.

The other problem is people saying their frame is a Medium, or a Small etc etc and not quoting the size. It seems that 18" is classed by most as Medium, but there is also a 14.5" on US ebay currently which is a Small. So what does that make a 16"?

So, any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Nick

Obviously 16 or 18 is a value of seat tube length (c-c in pre-2000 era GT's case). That's not a problem, you could always use longer seatpost in smaller frame. Real issue is top tube length which is approx 22.5 in 18" and one inch shorter in 16". With my 6 feet height I found 16" too short and uncomfortable even with very long 140mm stem. Of course it's all about personal preferences but that's main difference between these sizes.

Yes, I must admit my thoughts are based on my experience with hardtails, My STS DH is labelled as a large (only one GT without sizes in inches at that time) so can't tell about LTS sizes. STS large frame is about right to me though along with 18" hardtails.

It's mainly that having a 162 now and knowing I like it, would getting a slightly larger frame still feel right, or would it seem too big. 18" LTS frames seem easier to come by than the smaller ones hence this question.

I know the only way to really know is to try one, but seeing as I'll most likely be buying the frame online if I find one it'll be difficult to know.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back